VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Vany

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a small collection of 90s DOS games on steam, gog and origin, but they all come with dosbox and appear to be pre-configured for it too. What I would like is to run these games on actual old hardware but I am not exactly sure how to set up the files? So far the game files seem to reside in 1 folder along with some dosbox files. Can I just copy the folder to my DOS machine and expect it to work?

Trident Cyber 9525DVD Test, Review and supported games list

Reply 1 of 8, by BardBun

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Depends what files they include.

Games that come with an .iso or .bin/.cue file you can just burn onto a CD or Diskette and use that to play with.

Games that only include the installed files may or may not work, as GoG seems to weirdly sometimes hide some files inside their own created containers, but in general should work as well.

Reply 3 of 8, by Vany

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2020-12-09, 23:19:

Hey, that's exactly what I was looking for! Thanks man!

Reply 4 of 8, by Vany

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BardBun wrote on 2020-12-09, 22:56:

Depends what files they include.

Games that come with an .iso or .bin/.cue file you can just burn onto a CD or Diskette and use that to play with.

Games that only include the installed files may or may not work, as GoG seems to weirdly sometimes hide some files inside their own created containers, but in general should work as well.

Yeah the game that I was trying, in it's own folder, had 3 different versions. DOS-one, Windows 98 and what I presume was an "up-to-date" patched one, with all the files in a single folder. To make things worse, there was also an Install.bat file and an uninstall.exe
*brain explodes*

In the end, the game works on my pentium 2 windows 98 machine... by running the modified exe for modern computers.
Game is X-COM: UFO Defense from Steam.

Reply 5 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Vany wrote on 2020-12-10, 05:48:

You should get https://openxcom.org/ . Not only will it let you run the game wherever you want, but it also fixes some of the worst bugs from the original version.

Reply 6 of 8, by BardBun

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2020-12-10, 06:20:
Vany wrote on 2020-12-10, 05:48:

You should get https://openxcom.org/ . Not only will it let you run the game wherever you want, but it also fixes some of the worst bugs from the original version.

OpenXcom is disgustingly horrible and has nothing to do with the original game anymore.

Difficulty bug can be easily fixed with xcomutil, and perfect DOSBox performance can be gained via this guide:

https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Ide ... (UFO/TFTD)

Reply 7 of 8, by sledge

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BardBun wrote on 2020-12-10, 07:22:

OpenXcom is disgustingly horrible and has nothing to do with the original game anymore.

Care to elaborate? AFAIK all of the new features can be turned off, and in that case all that is left is original gameplay with some "nice to have" improvements, like mouse-wheel support, faster +/- with right click, support for modern resolutions with integer upscale etc.

doshaven.eu / high-voltage.cz

Reply 8 of 8, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Huh ?!
OpenXCom is 100% like the original, with a few QoL improvments added on top, and some critical bug fixes. And everything can be turned off to get the "really original" experience (but I don't know why you would want that).
I know because I played the original with a real DOS machine a thousand times.