VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 24, by almeath

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the positive feedback. I personally never had much luck getting OpenGlide to work in a stable manner in macOS, even with my custom patched version. It does continue to function under macOS 14 Sonoma, but there are quite a few glitches in most games, including missing textures and crashes. Because of this, I ended up patching the "DOSBox Pure" version of the 3dfx software emulation into my custom build. I found that it worked much better compared to other variations of the patch. I personally recommend only using this 'software' emulation as opposed to the hardware-passthrough via OpenGlide. I can verify that it works well in most games I have tested in a Windows 95 and 98 environment. Even games that were proving difficult like Need for Speed 2 ended up running.

You might also want to take a look at some other variants of DOSBox that are being actively developed, as I see that a newer version of the 3dfx software-based emulation has recently made its way into one of them, but it is not yet in the release build. If you are using Apple Silicon, then that version of DOSBox will be a more future-proof approach than using my Intel-only SVN build, which I will likely not develop any further.

DOSBox SVN for macOS (x86-64) - customized with Munt MT-32, Nuked OPL3, 3dfx Voodoo, Extra RAM, Large HD, and more.
https://github.com/almeath/DOSBox-SVN-64-bit-for-macOS

Reply 21 of 24, by yochenhsieh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello
Could you re-upload the binary?
I have problem with dosbox and dosbox-x on mac, would like to try svn build.
I fully understand it's not supported and actively developed.

Thank you

Reply 22 of 24, by almeath

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
yochenhsieh wrote on 2024-01-03, 11:59:
Hello Could you re-upload the binary? I have problem with dosbox and dosbox-x on mac, would like to try svn build. I fully un […]
Show full quote

Hello
Could you re-upload the binary?
I have problem with dosbox and dosbox-x on mac, would like to try svn build.
I fully understand it's not supported and actively developed.

Thank you

Sorry, not sure why that link broke. I have fixed it now.

I do not mind answering any questions you have about its use. I may update it periodically to keep up with SVN releases, but will just not be adding any new major features/patches.

DOSBox SVN for macOS (x86-64) - customized with Munt MT-32, Nuked OPL3, 3dfx Voodoo, Extra RAM, Large HD, and more.
https://github.com/almeath/DOSBox-SVN-64-bit-for-macOS

Reply 23 of 24, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

My SVN built is maybe also of interest as it uses SDL2 through sdl-12compat (a compatibility layer l).
See my signature

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 24 of 24, by yochenhsieh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you almeath!
The self-contained wrapper is just exactly what I want! It works wonderfully and I can even edit info.plist!

Thank you Dominus, I will try your build when I have time.
Happy New Year!