VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Contact_The_Jeff

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings everyone!

I have a question for you all.

With DOSBOX 0.74, it's possible to record MIDI commands to a midi file and it's possible to switch midi drivers, provided that the game allows it in someway.
With the generated midi file, it's possible to turn off midi channels on playback (outside of dosbox).

So, my question is that is that is it possible to set up DOSBOX.config to mute certain channels while playing X game?
(I.e., by clicking on this link: https://cirrusretro.com/listen/1855-bram-stok … la-sega-genesis you can turn off certain channels for any vgm track you wish to listen to.

If it's possible to do so, how would I achieve this?

Thanks in advance!

Reply 1 of 4, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

For what reason do you want to mute certain MIDI channels?

In any case, there is no provision for muting channels in DOSBox; however, there are external tools like MIDI-OX on Windows that will do what you want, as well as many other kinds of MIDI manipulations.

Reply 2 of 4, by Contact_The_Jeff

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote on 2021-06-22, 16:19:

For what reason do you want to mute certain MIDI channels?

In any case, there is no provision for muting channels in DOSBox; however, there are external tools like MIDI-OX on Windows that will do what you want, as well as many other kinds of MIDI manipulations.

My overall intention was to record midi channels individually while running a particular game in DOSBOX.
To start off, I was using "AdLib Music Synthesizer Card or 100% compatible" driver setting from a Sound Configuration Utility program (under DOSBOX)
Since I didn't know if it was possible to mute midi tracks under the dosbox.config, I searched for soundfonts online but I could not replicate the sounds produced by the Adlib Music Synth card driver....and here I am.

If it's true that it's not possible to mute certain MIDI channels under DOSBOX.config, it is unfortunate and thanks for letting me know. I appreciate it.

Regarding external tools, since you've listed one, I'll give it a try, but I feel like I'll lose the Adlib sound 'font' that DOSBOX plays.

Thanks again!

Reply 3 of 4, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The AdLib music in DOSBox is not MIDI; it is an emulation of OPL chips.

DOSBox does not have a provision to mute channels or instruments of OPL music, but it can capture port writes to the OPL chip in the DRO format with the Ctrl-Alt-F7 key combo. With the DRO file you may find external player or editor programs that allow muting or other changes. FYI, there are tools to convert DRO to VGM, if you're more familiar with the latter format.

Reply 4 of 4, by Contact_The_Jeff

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote on 2021-06-22, 18:12:

The AdLib music in DOSBox is not MIDI; it is an emulation of OPL chips.

DOSBox does not have a provision to mute channels or instruments of OPL music, but it can capture port writes to the OPL chip in the DRO format with the Ctrl-Alt-F7 key combo. With the DRO file you may find external player or editor programs that allow muting or other changes. FYI, there are tools to convert DRO to VGM, if you're more familiar with the latter format.

I was not aware of that but thanks for correcting me.

I have an update to report: I first want to thank you for guiding me into the right direction.
I wasn't aware of the .DRO file nor external players being able to mute tracks, but I have proceeded with this direction.

I was able to grab a copy of "imfplay" and used the .DRO files DOSBOX generated. This allowed me to not only mute channels but it plays back exactly as how I hear through the adlib driver!

I am successful in completing this original task thanks to your help!