VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Good_Punk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
I'm running retropie stock DosBox on a Pi 400. I'm generally quite happy with the performance - even Duke3D and Need For Speed seem fine - but I have a lot of slow down and sound stuttering in other less demanding games.
Jazz Jackrabbit's main menu runs so slow that it takes almos a second to switch between the menu options and One Must Fall stutters each time the screen changes/fades to black. Changing the game's graphics settings doesn't make any difference. Generally it seems that 2D games perform a lot worse than 3D... but that could be a coincidence.

I've tried different cycle settings and disabling sound but didn't really help.

Any ideas/suggestions? 😅

Reply 1 of 1, by Good_Punk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok I figured it out... the RetroPie DosBox version is really running terribly slow on a Pi4... especially for 2D stuff. I've switched to DosBox Staging (in the experimental modules category) and the games run smoothly now. 😁 Only the sound is still a bit stuttery from time to time... but I think I can live with that. 😀 I'm not very tech savy but I've read something about the Staging version using newer OpenGL... maybe that's connected to the 2D performance.