VOGONS

Common searches

The hatred of DosBox

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 42 of 142, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think it would be a bad idea... Many emulators have menu bars... MESS is a good example. You can mount/extract/create disks with menus.

But I'd prefer more compatibility and/or speed... or SVGA support... a menu bar it's not necessary, but it would help newbies.

Reply 43 of 142, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think it's worth mentioning that it could also free up more of the keyboard keys for use with games. It might also be useful now that Qbix/Harekiet are adding the ability to change more of DOSBox's settings on-the-fly, since it would mean being able to change them while a game is running instead of just at a DOS prompt.

Reply 44 of 142, by Xyloc

User metadata

Dear HunterZ,

You would make a great intermediate between the hardliners (like Snover) and the newbies. You are most constructive in your answers, taking some time to think from more sides than one.

The ultimate goal for DOSBox should remain to allow as many old games as possible to be playable.

Personally, I have used DOS from 1988 up till now and especially the mounting system used in DOSBox is quite different from the MSCDEX options oldtime DOS users are "used" to.

I agree that the README supplied with DOSbox is a bit "Unix man"-like; many different options with almost no examples.
I would like to have at least some examples of the extremes you are likely to encounter, using real names, instead of variables like <game name>.

I love DOSBox for the ease to run Really old games, com's and exe's from my childhood.

I'm definitely no newbie to this scene. However, there are quite a few CDROM games that register as supported without the neccessary options to start them properly.
As an example let's take Albion.
The proper place for these hints would be in the supported game overview on the DosBox website. More than once, the advice offered there simply does not work when executed to the letter.

This would satisfy both the newbies and the ones frequenting the forum whining about whining users. 😉
The newbies would have more info about the alchemy of options needed to run a specific game and the devs and veterans would have more time to look into the really obscure quirks.

Cordially yours,

a retro gamer

Reply 46 of 142, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unfortunately, just like this forum, the supported games list is driven by users. If no one writes instructions how to get a game running, then there is nothing. The helpers in the forums who have more experience getting a game working can offer advice when asked, but often don't own, or even don't know the specific game. They give general advice based on experience. Since they don't own the game in question, they can't write those hints into the game database. It's the many help-seeking users who are the only ones who could report their experiences about how they got a specific game running, but they don't do it.

Reply 47 of 142, by Duncan Idaho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Quote from HunterZ: Another option would be to build a frontend/launcher *inside* of DOSBox, which shouldn't be too hard now that QBix is implementing the ability to change most of DOSBox's configuration settings from within the emulator.

I like this idea, kind of like that DOSSHELL Microsloth made for MS-DOS back in the day.

I personally don't need any such help, (and I would have expected that most who come here to get their old gems up and running would be in the same position). But it seems that the old gems are being re-discovered by a new generation, and I can see how they might appreciate some extra handholding.

-Idaho

p.s. Does anyone besides me foresee a need one day to make a Windows98 emulator for all those games that refuse to run on XP? Heheh, pretty soon we may be able to just ditch Microsoft in favor of Linux with emulators. Wouldn't that just kick butt?

Reply 48 of 142, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Vmware is already working on D3D support. It's only a matter of time until a n VM fully supports D3D....With that said my recent testing with Cedega has shown that some games that do not work at all in Windows 2000/Windows XP work fine with Cedega!

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 49 of 142, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Norton Commander 5.0 works fine inside DOSBox. I don't think an internal shell would be needed.

P.S.: Look behind you! A Sardaukar!

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 50 of 142, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Zup:

1. The purpose of a frontend/launcher inside of DOSBox would not be served by a simple graphical/menu-driven DOS shell like Norton Commander, as the intent would be to handle things like mounting and changing DOSBox configuration settings.

2. If this integrated launcher were implemented correctly, it wouldn't have to use any resources of or be limited by the emulated DOS environment.

Reply 52 of 142, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Look at the wiki, there's a guide to building menus using batch files and the CHOICE command. No need to modify dosbox for such a menu, you can write your own. All you need is the upcoming config commands.

Reply 56 of 142, by The Devil Hunter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I come to like dosbox. I mean I sill like to play the old comptuer games, thou only in sheareware versions. I sill want to know if there is anyway that u can buy the full version's of some of the old games.

Mess with the best, die like the rest.

Reply 57 of 142, by babylon-shoes

User metadata

justlike to put in 2cents: dosbox is super!

dunno what the problems with them moaners and whinners, most i suspect are have-mouse-will-travel types?

in addition to being able to relive, i mean replay old dos games (blocky graphics are secondary to great gameplay - most new games are all eyecandy and no gameplay) i got a foxpro app to run with dosbox faultlessly.

great job developers! you have my thanks.

Reply 58 of 142, by The Devil Hunter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

And where would one find this extension? I used the firefox search thing in extensions, and of course it came up blank. I don't really trust that search thing.

Mess with the best, die like the rest.