VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Chicagozanian

User metadata

Is there a way to run more than one copy of DOSBox at the same time?

Thanks!

Reply 4 of 10, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe to test modem/network emulation? I remember running two full-screen copies of Quake on Linux on my 486DX4-120 and joining them together in a multiplayer LAN game. Of course it wasn't very convenient flipping between two virtual consoles, but I really just did it to see if I could 😀

Reply 7 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Chicagozanian wrote:

That works in windows, but on Mac when I try to start another instance it just goes to the one already running.

Hmmm - I not sure how/why this happens, but *something* in the system is trying to be a little bit too user-friendly it seems. Perhaps it simply sees that the same program/executable is already running, and decides to simply put the existing window to the front.

You might be able to fool the system by renaming the DOSBox executable. E.g. if it is currently named something like dosbox.app try making a copy of the file and name it something slightly different, e.g. dosbox2.app. When you then launch dosbox2.app, the system can not be sure that the two programs are identical, and it should launch a second copy.

Let us know if it works, okay?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 8 of 10, by mguiddy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The only way I know to do this is to run the program inside the .app package (either by browsing to it using finder or using the terminal to launch it). Either way it will open a terminal window that can't be closed (without closing dosbox) until you're done with dosbox.

Granted I'm no mac expert so there might be another way.

Reply 9 of 10, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Lame. So it's an OS restriction that you can't do something as simple as opening two copies of something as simple as notepad or calculator applications at the same time?

Reply 10 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

No - MacOSX is a real Unix system in disguise, so it can run as many copies as you want. The problem is figurering out how to circumvent all that looser-friendlyness.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions