VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by nick newcomer

User metadata

Will games like doom (games that needed a reasonably good 486 back in the day) run smoothly with dosbox? My own computer is 800mhz Pentium III.

Reply 1 of 9, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Probably not unless you run them at minimum detail. Running TES: Arena at high-ish detail taxes my Athlon XP 3200+ a fair amount.

You'll just have to try and see.

Reply 5 of 9, by CraigG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh Noes !11!1!1111!!!!!!!!!!
I can't run yo bitchin Quake on me Dosbox, and I wanna run me some interweb, some crappy program that talks to a microwave thru a com port.

Oh noes, the sarcasm.

Of course, there's absolutely no other way of running Doom, is there. 🙄

I want Dosbox to do my hoovering, shag my mates misses, do the ironing, and do the shopping.

Damn you Dosbox for being such shite

Damn this forum for being full of morons.

Athlon 64 3000+ stock
MSI NForce 4 K8N Neo Platinum
2Gb RAM
nVidia Geforce 6800GT stock clocks
SBLive! Platinum + Audigy ZS2 Drivers
WinXP Pro SP2

Reply 6 of 9, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 7 of 9, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There you have it, Ladies & Gentlemen: CraigG's "Rant of the Day"

I think the original poster was only using Doom as an example of the level of complexity of games he was thinking of trying to run...

Reply 8 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On a 800mhz with games that use fast moving graphics the answer is a resounding NO! They should run just fine on the host computer tho.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 9 of 9, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can only repeat What I Did Last Summer. It was a PentiumII 300MHz. Forget all action games, hope you have a decent audio chip (yamaha, soundblaster, definitely not onboard sound) that doesn't steal half of your CPU power, live with a sluggish mouse (because of frameskip 10 or even 20), and then enjoy any game that's left for such a scenario. Which are quite a lot - just no doom, quake, blood etc.

It _is_ possible to run games (even demanding ones) in dosbox on low-end computers, just not action games, and of course a little bit sluggish - yet IMHO it was still an enjoyable experience.

Sometimes that is easier than setting up a dos/windows installation and struggling with drivers, vdmsound, memory, and whatnot.