VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by john32b

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all, I made a small tool that makes it easy to encode the audio tracks of .cue/.bin CD images and create the new .cue files automatically.

It is called CBAE (Cue Bin Audio Encoder, how original!) and it's a Command Line Interface program, runs in Windows and Linux.
It supports all the major audio encoders (OPUS, FLAC)

• It works with FFMPEG behind the scenes, and it is a prerequisite. You need to have FFMPEG in installed and declared in your PATH
  • It is a NodeJS script, so you need NodeJS installed in your system, unless
  • For Windows there is a standalone build, that only requires FFMPEG

Here is the GitHub page for the project with more infos : https://github.com/john32b/cbae

DosBox, supporting OPUS audio is one of the best things ever, I have converted all my CD images to OPUS, I think it is a really nice codec.

This is a first release, I've tested it and been using this for a while and everything appears to be working fine.
I hope this will be of help for anyone that wishes to convert their CD images to encoded audio to save space.
If you encounter any bugs, or if you have any notes or ideas, please do share 😀

Cheers.

oRZiEG4.png

Reply 1 of 5, by linux4ever07

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This looks like a really awesome tool. Nice job!

It's weird cause I was just replying in another thread about a shell script I had created for the same purpose:
Re: ISO + CUE - Fixing Audio in DosBox Mounts [Redbook]

It's based on an older script I made a couple of years ago.

CBAE looks to be more capable though. I will check it out for sure!

It's really strange that I would find this post. Makes me wonder if there really is such a thing as a collective consciousness that makes multiple people have the same idea at the same time.

Reply 2 of 5, by john32b

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
linux4ever07 wrote on 2022-08-22, 22:34:

Makes me wonder if there really is such a thing as a collective consciousness that makes multiple people have the same idea at the same time.

Perhaps 😋
Although I first had this idea some years ago, and had made another program that would compress cd images for cold storage
https://github.com/john32b/cdcrush written in HAXE
^ Don't use it, it is deprecated ^
I just took the audio encoding parts from that and rewrote it in pure JS, making it more efficient in the way.
( Now that I think about it I should push the un-minified code in github for CBAE )

Reply 3 of 5, by linux4ever07

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I forgot to check back on this thread. I saw you've posted the un-minified code.

Skimmed through it a bit. I don't know JS so can't understand everything, but I get a vague idea looking at it.

It actually helped me, cause I was stuck on my Bash script. I wanted to add support for using ffmpeg to encode the CD audio to WAV, but despite me having used ffmpeg before to encode stuff I couldn't get the command right. Then I saw in your source code you were using ffmpeg, so I found the right syntax that way.

The idea was to add support for a couple of other programs besides 'bchunk' cause you never know with open source software. Sometimes the 1 dev maintaining it goes AWOL and the project becomes abandonware, stops showing up in distro repos etc. I mean, in the case of 'bchunk'. Besides ffmpeg, I also added 'sox'.

I'm tired of looking at my script now. It's OCD that's driving me above anything else, so I take breaks sometimes.

I see you're still working on CBAE. That's great! And thanks for indirectly helping me figure out the ffmpeg thing!

Reply 4 of 5, by john32b

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
linux4ever07 wrote on 2023-03-05, 12:19:

I'm tired of looking at my script now. It's OCD that's driving me above anything else, so I take breaks sometimes.

🤣 😹

I checked out your bash scripts. Impressive!
Me, I can't even with the bash syntax, too overwhelming, I need to have a cheat sheet open at all times
Yes I have some plans for cbae, I even have a local commit sitting around I haven't uploaded yet
- Ability to rename the track files to "track01.ogg , track02.ogg" etc etc
That is for use with WINMM.dll, so you don't have to manually rename the tracks.
Also working (finished) on another tool that can convert a compressed (cue/bin) back to a raw audio cd bin,
and I'm thinking if I want to incorporate it into cbae or keep as a separate tool?
this is useful when I want to play a game on real hardware (I have a win98 box) mounting games with daemon tools , works great

guess I'll just stop procrastinating and upload those soon!!

Reply 5 of 5, by linux4ever07

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks!

Yeah, Bash is a clunky language and pretty slow. I find some kind of masochistic enjoyment out of trying to make it do what I want. You know, it's like how video game consoles of the past forced developers to get creative to make something worthwhile with the limited processing power they had available.

I've also been thinking about file naming. The way I have it set up currently is it just names the tracks based on the filename of the input CUE sheet. There's some stuff I left out cause I wanted the script to be extremely simple, but it does mean I lose some functionality. It works for what I need though, which is why I didn't try to add more stuff to it.

Yeah, that sounds useful being able to convert everything back to CD audio if needed. Neither Daemon Tools or Alcohol 120% support FLAC tracks, right? I think when I tried it they could not handle it. Which is a shame. DOSBox handles it just fine and the code is open source so I hope the various disc image tools start supporting it.

Idle hands are the devil's playthings. Upload those commits! 😀