VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Slowboat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there,

I have been delighted to recently discover DOSBox 👍 I just have some general newbie questions if that's ok? I tried to find the answers to my questions by searching but was unable to. I'm not very technical so forgive me if my questions are stupid ones.

1. If a game is available on [abandonware site url removed], is it legal for me to downloaded & play it on DOSBox? (I'm in the UK)
  2. What about full versions of games on [abandonware site url removed]? I assume it's illegal to download and play them on DOSBox? What if I own the game on CD-ROM but download the same game to play on DOSBox from [abandonware site url removed]?
  3. When I drag a setup executable for a game onto the DOSBox shortcut icon on my Windows desktop, the executable inside of the DOSBox console will ask to install on my C drive (e.g c:\gamename). But then when I finish playing the game and close DOSBox, the folder gamename hasn't been created at c:\gamename. What's going on there? Where does the game install to? And is DOSBox wiping the install folder when I close the DOSBox application?

I hope my questions made sense! Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

1. & 2.: It's illegal to download pirated games from a pirate site in many countries. Abandonware is not a legal term. it's not illegal to play them via DOSBox, though, but you won't get support here on Vogons.

3. You best follow the DOSBox guides DOSBox Guides Short version: crate a folder called c:\Dosgames, place the install folder in c:\Dosgames, start Dosbox and use this command: "mount c C:\dosgames". Then type "c:" and then "cd installfolder" (installfolder the name of the game's install folder). run setup. Then afterwards use the same mount and cd to the game folder when you want to start.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 8, by Slowboat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi @Dominus,

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly.

I will try your suggestions in terms of reading the guides and using an install folder.

One more question: what if I download a demo from one of those abandonware websites - is that ok? Would I get support for trying to get a demo to work here on vogons?

Thanks

Reply 3 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Problem is that we don't allow links to the abandonware sites (and honestly there are not many demos of DOS games to begin with). The reason why we don't support abandonware is 1. we don't want to be liable and 2. the games are often "ripped" or cracked and might exhibit behavior the original game does not.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 8, by BardBun

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recommend you to create a "Games" folder inside the "DOSBox" folder where then you put all your games into:

rMNwiAq.png

And then at the end of the DOSBox Config File add:

mount c c:\Games\DOSBox\Games\

So that when you enter C: in DOSBox you will be inside the games folder.

Reply 7 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

It’s bad practice to mix the program folder with data (or in this case games). Better don‘t make the games folder a subfolder of where you install Dosbox