VOGONS

Common searches

DosBox Config File Jumps Directories, WHY?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by OzDrDj

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I am creating a Package in REMOVED for the Old Lesiure Suit Larry Games. I had dosbox in the main directory and the games in subdirectories, but as the Configuration was different for the first 3 instances I decided to put a copy of DosBox in each subdirectory, set up the options and go, but i am experiencing a weird problem. I set up my main folder in "coinops\emulators\LSL", this is where the artwork and things for Coinops resides. From this directory I made a batch file "LS1.bat" which changes to the subdirectory "LS1" and executes Dosbox.exe. Then the "DOSBox 0.74-3 Options.bat" file in this folder has down in the autoexec section, has

mount c "d:\CoinOPS\emulators\LSL\LSL1"
c:
call LSL1.BAT
exit

This runs the game and when the game exits, dosbox closes. Perfect. Now the Weird part, I make another subdirectory, LS2, this does exactly the same thing as beofre, but excange all the 1s for 2s,

mount c "d:\CoinOPS Col-lections\emulators\LSL\LSL2"
c:
call LSL2.BAT
exit

Now..... When I go back to the LSL1 directory, The "DOSBox 0.74-3 Options.bat" has also changed to the same options as LSL2, I didn't notice this then made directory LS3, again I set it up the same way and it did the same thing.
the "DOSBox 0.74-3 Options.bat" file has changed to,

mount c "d:\CoinOPS Col-lections\emulators\LSL\LSL3"
c:
call LSL3.BAT
exit

This is now in every folder. How does the "DOSBox 0.74-3 Options.bat" file manage to change itself in every directory it is in. This is next to impossible but it is happening, how how how.

Thanks for your thoughts or ideas in advance.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2023-05-06, 10:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 3, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Seems to me when you made copies of those batch files, you didn't actually copy them but might have made links instead (and I don't mean the ".lnk" kind). How you would do that accidentally is beyond me though, since Windows doesn't make it easy. (Maybe WSL lowers the bar enough so it can now happen? No clue.)