VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by mimdalli

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
I have a very old executable which I still need to use for my work. It is developed special for my work sometimes in 90's, there is no alternative. Unfortunately the executable checks the version of dos and if the version mismatches I get an error (see attachment). I think it checks the answer of the command "ver".
So I am still using window98 in a virtual machine, however it is very difficult to exchange files between the host OS and windows98. I want to use it within dosbox but it gives the version mismatch error. So I am wondering if it is possible to make a patch or something like that to dosbox, so that it gives the same version number as a windows98 ms-dos prompt, perhaps my executable run well?

Thank you.

Attachments

• Fout.png
    Filename
    Fout.png
    File size
    14.65 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Fault on dosbox version mismatch
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 2, by zirkoni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No patch needed. DOSBox already has a command to set the reported DOS version.
Example (this will set it to 6.22):
ver set 6 22

EDIT: I'm not sure about what DOS version Win98 has, 7.1 maybe?

https://youtube.com/@zirkoni42

Reply 2 of 2, by DrMedWurst

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
zirkoni wrote on 2023-11-24, 17:49:

I'm not sure about what DOS version Win98 has, 7.1 maybe?

Yes, Windows 98 FE & SE both use DOS 7.1.

mimdalli wrote on 2023-11-23, 21:48:

So I am still using window98 in a virtual machine, however it is very difficult to exchange files between the host OS and windows98. I want to use it within dosbox but it gives the version mismatch error.

DosBox usally reports DOS 5.00 on startup.
If the software is running on a Windows 98 VM, a "ver set 7.1" should make DosBox return DOS version 7.10 and it should work.

64K RAM SYSTEM 38911 BASIC BYTES FREE