VOGONS

New version of DOSBox idea

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by DIGI_Byte

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I Dont like using DOSBox, Because everytime I want to play a different game in need to set it up first, I configured the startup file to autorun a bunch of commands to play the game, But need to manually configure it when I want to change games.

I have noticed several GUI tools and frankly, Its like finding a health bar you want for Mugen.

I think its about time DOSBox had a proper face lift.
DOSBox is an emulator and is considered the best emultor to play Dos games, However Many other Emulators have simple things that DOSBox is missing.

Open/Close/Reset file
State saving/loading
Screen capture

If theres anyreason why these things cannot be implemented, I'd like to know why.

A nice thing some emulators have is a tool that exports graphics and sprite sheets for people to use in other projects.

Reply 2 of 29, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not a DOSBox dev, but i think i can safely say the following.

DOSBox is open source. You're welcome to download the source, add any functionality you wish, and submit these changes back to CVS. If your changes don't break game compatibility or the portability of DOSBox, the devs will decide whether to include your changes in the main DOSBox build, or not. Happy coding!

Reply 3 of 29, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I started to make a reply for the OP, but then I thought better of it and cancelled it.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 29, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think it's about time that:

1. Users read the README
2. Users search the FORUM
3. Users realize that DOSBox isn't like "many other emulators", and as such it makes some features harder to implement
4. DOSBox doesn't need a "facelift". The "facelift" to MS-DOS was Windows. MS-DOS is not Windows. That's a good thing. If you want a "facelift" then use a frontend.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 29, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Most of the features requested in this "idea" are more appropriate to console/handheld game system emulators; and although DOSBox focuses on games, it is basically a computer system emulator.

A GUI (frontend) saves you from having to repeat the steps for making a game work, it does not automagically know what those steps are.

Saving and restoring the state of a computer system emulation is complicated by hardware permutations and the state of mass storage devices (disks), which are things console/handheld emulators don't have to deal with.

Reply 6 of 29, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DIGI_Byte, you only have to setup a game in DOSBox once, saving those settings in a unique dosbox.conf. Once you set it up, all you have to do is to start DOSBox with that dosbox.conf to run the same game without any need to set it up again. But then you can find all of this in the readme.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 8 of 29, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DOSBox is already far more advanced and easier to use than a real DOS machine (remember memory management?). You frequently had to setup separate config.sys/autoexec.bat files for games back then too. It may be an emulator, but it is a *DOS* emulator. You're going to need at least some familiarity with DOS to run it. It can't hold your hand for you.

Reply 9 of 29, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DIGI_Byte wrote:

Open/Close/Reset file

This is not applicable to DOS. A program often isn't contained in a single file. If you do mean a program file and by "Open" you mean start, then just drag the file onto the DOSBox icon (assuming you're running Windows). For "Close", try the little X at the top right corner of the window. For reset, try closing, then starting again.

DIGI_Byte wrote:

State saving/loading

This would be nice, but don't hold your breath, as it's quite simply a horribly complicated thing to do.

DIGI_Byte wrote:

Screen capture

Checking the README isn't your strongest point, is it? DOSBox already has that and far more: the ability to capture a single screenshot (Ctrl-F5), a video (Ctrl-Alt-F5), just audio (Ctrl-F6), OPL FM commands (Ctrl-Alt-F7), MIDI (Ctrl-Alt-F8).

DIGI_Byte wrote:

A nice thing some emulators have is a tool that exports graphics and sprite sheets for people to use in other projects.

That may work for systems that actually have hardware sprite engines, such as a Commodore 64 or a NES, but PCs don't have those. With the myriad of video modes on a PC, there are approximately 123.5 billion ways in which graphics data can be stored and while DOSBox can dump part of its memory to disk (with a debug enabled build) that would be useless to you anyhow. You'd have more luck just decoding the original files, as you already have access to them. Ripping off other people's graphics is illegal anyway.

Reply 10 of 29, by DIGI_Byte

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I forgot about the screen capturing, Sorry.
DOSBox hasn't had a reasonable update in some time and its quite lame having to edit the dosbox.conf when I wish to change games.

I read some time ago that I could just drag and drop the games onto it but it still doesn't change the fact I have to hunt down that right file first,
It equivalent to hunting down a GBA Rom in my roms folder and dragging it into my VBA emulator, When its much quicker to just open it and select the Rom.

If DOSBox isn't going to be updated, Is there a front end GUI worth downloading?

Reply 13 of 29, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DIGI_Byte wrote:
I forgot about the screen capturing, Sorry. DOSBox hasn't had a reasonable update in some time and its quite lame having to edit […]
Show full quote

I forgot about the screen capturing, Sorry.
DOSBox hasn't had a reasonable update in some time and its quite lame having to edit the dosbox.conf when I wish to change games.

I read some time ago that I could just drag and drop the games onto it but it still doesn't change the fact I have to hunt down that right file first,
It equivalent to hunting down a GBA Rom in my roms folder and dragging it into my VBA emulator, When its much quicker to just open it and select the Rom.

If DOSBox isn't going to be updated, Is there a front end GUI worth downloading?

Just because software hasn't bee updated for awhile doesn't mean you shouldn't use it. Is 0.72 not working for you?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 15 of 29, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
DIGI_Byte wrote:

Is there a front end GUI worth downloading?

Yes.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 16 of 29, by Zachariah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The only thing missing from dosbox is a better promotion of front ends. It's very unclear what front end is still up to date, what front end is advanced, what front end is easy to use etc. I know the dosbox dev's stay neutral on these choices, but it might be nice to make the "Tools" list in the download section a bit more detailed, for example, add new front ends if there are any missing, write a short description of them, possibly including a screenshot and a indication how 'newbie friendly' and how 'advanced-user-feature-complete' it is.

Another common question seems to be limiting the amounth of options that have to be set to play games, either in dosbox.conf or in the front end. Honestly this is where the dosbox development has been focusing on the most, and it vastly improve every next version. (including game compatibility in general).

Edit: How up to date is this list?
http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/DOSBoxFrontends
Also, a link to there from the main page/readme would be nice. No?

Reply 18 of 29, by DIGI_Byte

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I agree With Zach, Why not implement the best Front end and have it install with DosBox?
I setup up DosBox through my windows tool bar, If I knew how, I'd set it up in the shell menu, under a sub menu.

Unfortunately most people aren't computer smart, Most people don't even know how to view files extensions in windows let alone open a file with another application.

Thanks for the Link Qbix, I will look at these.

Also while I'm in the topic of DosBox and what not, I tried running Dukenukem3D and Quake.
But Duke3D Dies on start up
Playback failed, Possibly due to an invalid or conflicting IRQ

And Quake runs with -noaudio