VOGONS

First post, by Jef

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This may sound stupid and too much time consuming but I'm just going to tell my idea here :

OS X applications languages work with folders inside the applications like English.lproj or Dutch.lproj .etc, if your system is set to Dutch for example, it loads stuff from the Dutch.lproj folder.

So maybe if you make different .conf file with a different keyboardlayout= line, it automatic loads the keyboard layout if placed in the correct language folder.. the same could be done with the language of DOSBox.

But the thing is, DOSBox doesn't do that straight from the box, if somebody wants this to happen, the source needs to be altered.

Reply 1 of 3, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What's the difference? 😉

To be seriously now, if conf files with keyboardlayout=gr, value dependend of the language set to, placed in xxx.lproj inside the DOSBox app package,
DOSBox should read that config file by default (Mac porter attention here 😉 ),
but why not just add your keyboardlayout to your standard config file and lead DOSBox to that file in the first place (or last place, to force this layout), followed by further config files, if needed.

If you place a config file called "DOSBox Preferences" in your Preferences folder, it will be read by default all the times DOSBox starts, then followed by other config files you may add to the Terminal command line parameter.

Editing the "DOSBox Preferences" standard config file with the keyboardlayout setting seems the simplest way to me.

Is a localication to other languages than english useful to the DOSBox application? I think, it's not worth.

The language files available from the DOSBox site works well with the Mac port, so the DOS inside is localized at least.

To include a lang file in the Mac port of DOSBox, call DOSBox by using the Terminal (drag "DOSBox.app/Contents/MacOS/DOSBox") into the Terminal, add the parameters as usual,
for example -lang PathToLanguageFile -conf Path to ConfigFile.

An easier way to do so is to add " -lang " (w/o quotes) to the Terminal command line, then drag the desired file into the Terminal.

Klimawandel.

Reply 2 of 3, by Jef

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

To be seriously now, if conf files with keyboardlayout=gr, value dependend of the language set to, placed in xxx.lproj inside the DOSBox app package,
DOSBox should read that config file by default

Tested it and DOSBox doesn't do that, I think it doesn't look for files in the resources folder...

Is a localication to other languages than english useful to the DOSBox application? I think, it's not worth.

Yeah, you're right, localizations aren't quite useful (my opinion) but the keyboard layouts may be more useful.

But it was only an idea, and as I said, it doesn't work out of the box, DOSBox doesn't look in the Resources folder of itself... 😉 Or am I doing something wrong here?

Reply 3 of 3, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"DOSBox Preferences" called config file in your Preferences folder only (by default).

Because

Jef wrote:

DOSBox should read that config file by default

Tested it and DOSBox doesn't do that, I think it doesn't look for files in the resources folder...

This isn't a feature yet (and expect it never will be, please). 😉

Klimawandel.