VOGONS

First post, by Jef

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I compile DOSBox on Tiger (PowerPC), then the PowerPC-only binary with static libraries is around 13mb...
But when I compile DOSBox on Leopard (also PowerPC), then the again PowerPC-only binary with static libraries is about 3mb...

The Leopard built doesn't work on Tiger becuase it can't find the CoreFoundation.framework. But the Tiger one works on both Tiger and Leopard. (and for those who have Windows, Tiger is older than Leopard)

1) Can I link the Leopard CoreFoundation.framework to the source and will it work on Tiger (I can test this but I don't know which line I need to add for linking that framework)

or

2) Am I missing some flags when I compile on Tiger ? the original DOSBox executable is about 10 mb and it works on both Intel and PowerPC. The one I made is 13mb and is PowerPC only... and if I'm not mistaking, the original source is built on Tiger (maybe Panther which is older)

I both tried DOSBox 0.72 and the CVS of 30 January.

Thanks in adavance.

Reply 1 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

maybe you forgot to strip one of the parts ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 7, by Jef

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:

maybe you forgot to strip one of the parts ?

thanks for the quick reply 😀

what do you mean ?

Reply 3 of 7, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Depending on the compiler and linker flags, the object files, libraries, and the executables will sometimes contain additional debug information (which could explain the extra 10 MB you see).

The Unix-utility strip(1) is commonly used to strip/remove files from the (unnecesarry) debug information before shipping the programs to customers.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 7, by Jef

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can't seem to get it working,
I tried strip -s
But do I need to run ./configure first ? and do I need to strip it from within the main folder or the src folder ?

Reply 5 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
strip dosbox_executable_you_made

or

man strip

Reply 6 of 7, by Jef

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, strip executable worked... I already tried man strip but I didn't find anything that could help. the executable was 14.8 mb and now it's 2.9 mb

when I statically linked it, I left out the /debug/libdebug.a line, that's safe right ?

Reply 7 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

if it links without errors then it is safe 😀
but you can link it anyway. it is fairly empty in non-debug mode.