VOGONS

CMF files, played with PLAYCMF

Topic actions

First post, by Mikity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi All! OPL emulation is really quite impressive - my acid test is playing a few old CMFs with PLAYCMF, just as I used to do when sitting in front of my Dad's PC back in '91... I thought having a SB 1.5 was the height of music choice, almost like a proto-iTunes 😀

Anyway, I notice there are still a few inaccuracies however. One that I can't understand occurs at about 0:47 in KENTUCKY.CMF - a series of high squeaks that shouldn't be there. I've attached an MP3, and was wondering what you make of it.

I have tried tweaking the sbtype, oplmode and oplemu settings but that didn't change it. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Mikity

Attachments

• Filename
    Kentucky.mp3
    File size
    380.96 KiB
    Downloads
    322 downloads
    File comment
    KENTUCKY.CMF, listen around 0:47
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 31, by Mikity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In case you want to try this yourself, here is a ZIP file containing all the files you need. Load SBFMDRV, and then simply PLAYCMF <filename>. Have fun 😀

Attachments

• Filename
    CMF.zip
    File size
    31.3 KiB
    Downloads
    513 downloads
    File license

Reply 3 of 31, by Mikity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That sounds quite a bit better actually, thanks for the pointer! First few chimes still too squeaky (see attached MP3), but if I close my eyes I can almost imagine I am back in the early 90s... 😜

Thanks,
Mikity

Attachments

• Filename
    Kentucky_49716.mp3
    File size
    494.86 KiB
    Downloads
    298 downloads
    File comment
    KENTUCKY.CMF oplrate=49716
    File license

Reply 5 of 31, by Mikity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

By the way, can I expect any adverse effect from setting the overall mixer rate to the unusual frequency of 49,716 Hz? So far I hear none, tested a series of MOD-based games such as Epic Pinball.

Thanks again!
Mikity

Reply 7 of 31, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

By the way, can I expect any adverse effect from setting the overall mixer rate to the unusual frequency of 49,716 Hz?

That depends on your soundcard (cheap ones may have problems).

Ideally there'd be some (high quality) resampling in the dosbox opl core.

Reply 8 of 31, by boyofdestiny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The cmf files work nicely using adplay as well as loads of other dos era chiptune formats.

The player I use is audacious media player

All open source, just throwing it out there if you're looking to playback music in a dedicated music player. 😀

Reply 11 of 31, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

There should be some unofficial patch for adplug/adplay that has better
opl emulation quality, but any way one of the new opl cores will be integrated
into adplug/adplay thanks to Simon Peter (adplay author).

Reply 12 of 31, by Mikity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, it seems like I know some friendly folks with old sound cards... so here is a recording of it using a real SB2.
Can you spot the differences?

Attachments

• Filename
    KENTUCKY.mp3
    File size
    1.59 MiB
    Downloads
    303 downloads
    File comment
    recorded with a SB 2.0 (CT1350B)
    File license

Reply 15 of 31, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

There are people who can grab the digital information right after the chip's processing.

Anyways, i don't hear anything wrong with the sample, and the minor differences
surely are due to DA conversion features/artefacts of the sb card.

Reply 16 of 31, by Zorbid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can hear at least two differences which don't seem to be DA-related. The introduction sounds more delicate with the real SB version and the bass sound seems louder later on.

The waveforms are quite different too, And the FFTs have som subtle differences.

The DOSBox capture has a 32000Hz sample rate, the SB one is at 44100. After bitrate conversion with ffmpg, the DOSBox wav file turned out to be 75976 samples longer (after removing the silence at the beginning of each track). I zero-padded it before applying the FFT.

I guess the high frequency cut-off is MP3 related, and that It appears as a notch on the DOSBox FFT because of the high frequencies introduced after the resampling.

There are some noticeable differences in the diff, as you can see. There are roughly more bass and less treebles on the real SB. Differences related to the length (hence frequency) difference shouldn't appear on these smoothed curves.

It could be nice to have samples at the same initial samplerate, with minimal compression added.

Attachments

• sbdiffs.png
    Filename
    sbdiffs.png
    File size
    17.69 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by Zorbid on 2009-06-01, 17:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 17 of 31, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I can hear at least two differences which don't seem to be DA-related.

I hope you'll provide proof that it's not related to any stage after the
digital opl output one by actual digital comparison.

Reply 18 of 31, by Zorbid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Actually, the graphs weren't there to support that point.

To be more precise, some instruments sound identical, some are different, and the balance between some of them is also different. I don't think that these could be DA-related.

The two "xylophone" notes that end the intro at 00:09 sound one octave lower in DOSBox. I'm sure that this isn't DA related.

The low/high frequency balance could indeed be the result of an analogic post-processing (or more simply related to the impedance of the circuits, without any intention to post process anything), but if it is the case , it would be nice if it were emulated too (you're emulating an SB, not a purely digital OPL chip, after all).

Overall, I find the original more lively.

Can you hear what I'm talking about?

I'm not complaining, btw, I'm very happy with the current state of the SB emulation. This is intended to be constructive criticism.

Last edited by Zorbid on 2009-06-01, 17:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 19 of 31, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Can you hear what I'm talking about, though?

Well i don't hear anything that i'd not contribute to the information loss during the recording.

Could you try to tweak the low/high frequency ballance accordingly?

It's not like there's a switch to emphasize some frequencies. If you want to
check if there's really some bug that causes this, you'll have to go to the
digital part first and assure everything is fine there.