VOGONS

Debian Build

Topic actions

First post, by nudgegoonies

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can't wait any longer. I did everything, from googleing for hourse till trying out various ubuntu builds on my stable Lenny but i found no 0.73 working!

I did nearly everything but compiling, this is what i can't and what i won't do!

I don't want to wait until Squeeze! I want to configure my Games for 0.73 now!

Has anyone a DEB wich runs on plain lenny without depends on squeeze?

Thanks in advance!

Reply 1 of 8, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

my debian system that I use is currently not available, but the compiling process is pretty simple

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 8, by nudgegoonies

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Simple? The compiling itself was simple. After the work with installing the whole *-dev stuff. After looking working with the dosbox_0.72-1.1.diff.gz to extract the debian directory with the build rules. After changing changelog, DEBIAN.readme and dosbox.conf.example. After applying the patch in the bios_keyboard.cpp. After searching for the command for the build process...

Reply 3 of 8, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Dunno why the hell you'd want to apply all those custom modifications,
compiles fine out of the box, and the dependencies can usually be installed
easily with a package manager.

Reply 4 of 8, by nudgegoonies

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I wanted to create a deb to keep my system clear. The only modification is the patch to bios_keyboard.cpp wich seems to be needed. It is an easy patch. Simply removing two slashes before a define. The stuff in the debian directory seems to be needed for the deb build process. There were a lot of patches in the diff for 0.72 wich i havn't applied because i think they were bugfixes from the cvs versions or they were patches by the maintainers.

Reply 5 of 8, by nudgegoonies

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

To be true, the compiling by self process is to complicated for beginners. But beginners wouldn't really use Linux on the desktop 😉 But i think binaries for the most popular linux distributions, those who don't have the actual dosbox in their reposities or in their backports, would be useful for a lot of people.

Regards,
Andreas

Reply 6 of 8, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Windows and OSX might be easier for beginners to be true.

Reply 7 of 8, by AndrewWhite

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
nudgegoonies wrote:

To be true, the compiling by self process is to complicated for beginners. But beginners wouldn't really use Linux on the desktop 😉 But i think binaries for the most popular linux distributions, those who don't have the actual dosbox in their reposities or in their backports, would be useful for a lot of people.

Regards,
Andreas

I have made a deb for you of the latest version. It has all of the requirements that dosbox has I do not think I put the required packages into the deb so you will need to install them yourself if you are missing them.

Reply 8 of 8, by kruwi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

why don't you want to compile the sources?

Installiung the dependencies (the required dev-packages) is pretty easy. And if you don't want to mess with your system, well:

You don't actually have to do a "make install"! "Configure" and "make" will suffice, after that you can just run the executable from your home directory like this: "./dosbox". No messing around with your system, all of root's directories will stay tidy.

😀

Visit the end of the internet: www.groskreutz.de