VOGONS

First post, by ChaosFish

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One of the thing that annoyed me the most since Windows 95, is the Windows® key. It's very near the Ctrl and the Alt keys and lots of people are accidently pressing it while playing DOS games.

Is there a plane for a "Disable Windows® key/ other windows shortcuts" feature?

Reply 1 of 8, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My brother-in-law just pulled it up using a screwdriver 😀

Reply 2 of 8, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

dosbox has nothing to do with windows keys and if you want to disable them there should be apps for windows to disable them.

Reply 3 of 8, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wrote something years ago as I played a lot of UT and I kept minimising UT instead of jumping/taunting by hitting the Windows Key 😀

You can find my util here http://www.clankak.co.uk/files/WinKey1-1.zip

Best of luck!

Reply 4 of 8, by ChaosFish

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you so much Reckless! Works splendidly.

You DOSBox people might want to put a link for this progarm at your site, it's very important for DOS games.

Reply 5 of 8, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Source, so that it can be implemented directly, maybe?

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 6 of 8, by iampiti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Source, so that it can be implemented directly, maybe?

I agree with Harekiet. Such a thing belongs to the OS level, however I won't mind if it gets implemented in dosbox 😁

Iampiti

Reply 7 of 8, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anyone can have the source! I had given it to someone a while back for a similar integration task. It's all in CPP, is Windows specific (obviously) was developed under VS6 though I'm sure it'll work under any later version.

One update I always fancied was to put my own wrapper around it which would make the program very useful... For example:
Define a list of games/apps that the utility should be aware of. Each time one of the games/apps on the list is started, the util would apply a set of keyboard rules that the user configured when the game was added.

I couldn't really think what other rules there would be apart from disabling the Windows key but I'm sure other people have other ideas!!

If there's enough interest I don't see why I couldn't do it.

Reply 8 of 8, by ChaosFish

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think there is enough interest, will it be done? [/bump]