VOGONS

First post, by Sardoc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a problem with DOXBox and analog audio to report.

If a game uses analog audio (Mixed-mode CD using Audio CD music tracks), DOXBox will play the music, but only on maximum volume. Lowering the volume in-game does nothing. It makes the music really loud compared to the rest.

I've tested it on 2 games that make use of Audio CD format: Tomb Raider and LBA 2.

Would it be possible in a future version to somehow emulate analog audio using digital data? At the moment, I'm very pleased with what DOSBox does, the only issue being this one.

Reply 1 of 3, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

FYI, you can set the CD audio volume level with the MIXER command in DOSBox when using bin/cue images mounted with IMGMOUNT. For example, the command "MIXER CDAUDIO 50:50" will set the volume to 50% on both channels.

There is a new feature and some fixes in SVN source for CD audio volume through in-game controls, but only for IMGMOUNT with bin/cue images or MOUNT -ioctl_dx mount types. You can try an SVN build of DOSBox if you'd like to test your games with the improvements.

Reply 2 of 3, by Sardoc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the reply.
Well... it sure would be a lot better if it worked on any image or virtual disc software (like DAEMON tools). Especially since a modified version of DOSBox is used with Glidos, and I can't just replace it to a different one easily. Oh well. Will leave it for now, hopefully some future version will address this. Would be cool.

Reply 3 of 3, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

it sure would be a lot better if it worked on any image or virtual disc software (like DAEMON tools).

If you use Daemon Tools or the like to mount images, simply use the CD audio volume control provided by your OS or soundcard drivers just as you would for a real cdrom drive. Also, if you're not mounting directly in DOSBox and using a virtual disc drive because your images are not bin/cue, you can convert them to bin/cue.