VOGONS

First post, by foxyshadis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

D3D is great, much faster windowed mode than opengl on my system (ykhwong's 4/7/06, core duo 1.66, ati X1400 mobility, omega drivers 3.8.221, 2 gb ram). However, it hangs when I switch to fullscreen, which the other modes don't (although some crash). It happens in text and vesa modes; I'm mostly testing it with redneck rampage and plain dos. Resolution (incl. "original"), scaling, sound, make no difference.

The exact symptoms of the hang: Black Screen. No longer responds to keyboard, mouse, etc. Uses 0% cpu. Always on top - no other apps can be switched to. However, you can switch to get to the taskbar and right-click-close, which works fine.

Bizarrely enough, it keeps playing music; I was treated to redneck rampage 8-track music for several minutes after I closed it. :p (DOSBox is not in the task manager list at all.)

So do you think this isn't going to work until the patch it updated? Is there something I can test or do to help find out what's going on to fix it? It seems there has been a minor omega update, I'll try that too.

Reply 2 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm suprised that you noticed a difference between speed in D3D/OGL....I haven't noticed a diff between the two speedwise since the video optimizations.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 6, by foxyshadis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nothing reported in either with the option (also got a glimpse of the status window without it, before it closed, nothing changes in it either). Scaler's always none.

fullresolution=original
windowresolution=original
changing the fullres doesn't actually change the res, must hang before that. (Taskbar's still same resolution.) Or maybe it's just a laptop ati thing, since opengl doesn't change it either (it just resizes it to a window of the size, after a lot of flickering). Specifying it (1280x800 or 1280x1024) works fine in opengl. I'll try it again on the external monitor when I get home, that one actually switched resolutions.

But yeah, in opengl a/v skips like crazy in both modes, whereas in d3d it's great, no slowdowns in windowed mode. I guess if I have to I could play it at fullres in windowed mode.

I just tried gulikoza's, same deal. (Except dynamic core crashes, but that must be an already-fixed cvs thing.)

Reply 5 of 6, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

stdout.txt has to contain some text, at least the usual

CONFIG:Loading settings from config file dosbox.conf
MIDI:Opened device:win32

or something like it. What happens if you start with fullscreen enabled?

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 6 of 6, by foxyshadis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If I exit dosbox normally, it does contain the usual text; I guess the write buffers don't get flushed when it hangs. I could try to force-flush them with a tool, once I get back to the second screen, but I doubt it would illuminate anything since nothing showed on the status window before it closed (when open).

Fullscreen startup just hangs right at start.