VOGONS

config seems broken

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 20 of 24, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
seasoned_geek wrote:

Older Windows installation program ceased working when the Registry was introduced.

I will admit my ignorance of the inner workings of Windows, but if I wrote an installer in 1994, 1 year before the Windows registry was introduced with Win95, why - and HOW - would that installer suddenly stop working just because something EXTRA was added to Windows?

I could understand that it would stop working if something was REMOVED, but not if something is ADDED.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 21 of 24, by seasoned_geek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As I said, your installer may very well "think" it completed, but without entries in the registry, the application wouldn't be usable. A single EXE running from a single directory would work, but once you started needing DLLs and Windows resources, your application wouldn't be allowed access. I don't remember, but I think it was even blocked from getting on the Windows menu with all of the other applications. I am not certain, but I think the creation/placement/location of desktop icons even required registry entries after that.

I remember things busted bad when Registry came out and everybody had to upgrade all significant software.

There were also Windows library/system calls which added required parameters (in part due to the registry) that stopped applications from installing/working.

Reply 22 of 24, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The registry existed before Win95, though it did little more than contain file associations. Legacy installers usually DID work in Win95. The shortcuts that used to end up in a group (.grp file) ended up in a folder in the Start Menu. If anything, MS has placed too much emphasis on backwards compatibility. Sometimes a clean break is best.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 23 of 24, by seasoned_geek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had several which didn't work with Win95. Some of them large commercial products.

Ah well...if any distro actually gets serious about making Linux a reliable tested desktop, it could take over corporate America. So far, none qualify.

Reply 24 of 24, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

And now this thread has moved into the realm of Milliways.

Closed - happy weekend.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions