VOGONS

First post, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

At the bottom of each alphanumeric listing is "Compatibility statistics", giving broken, runable, playable and supported for a given dosbox version. It would be helpful if the game counts of those categories were links to lists of those games.

Reply 3 of 7, by towerz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The Games database has untold potential.

Simple searching (or filter) additions would make it great:
- Search by letter (done)
- Search by title (done)
- Search by year
- Search by genre
- Search by status (playability)
- Search by developer

Not only that, but the DOSBox community was founded primarily based on games. This list is potentially the most comprehensive list of DOS games on the net. Adding extra meta information to each game in the list will preserve history and allow people to potentially use it more.

User contribution might actually go up if there was a (better) reason to contribute. I would love to see screenshots of all the games listed. I own hundreds of games for nostalgic purposes and was contemplating making a webpage devoted just to screens so that I could look at them at my liesure and reminisce.
Guests might enjoy browing screens of games to see what games look like if they've never played them before.

Yes its all been done before online somewhere, somehow, but doubtful that a community as large as the DOSBox community supported sites like that with the extensive games list available.

It's somewhat saddening to see such a robust, amazing emulator to have a webpage with portions in the state of disrepair that have great potential.

Reply 4 of 7, by Spearhead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@towerz: want to see screenshots and much more data about games? go to mobygames.com, they have a quite large collection of games in there database, not only for dos but for maaany other systems as well, anyone can contribute 😀

Reply 5 of 7, by twistedemotions

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

http://www.mobygames.com

for a comprehensive database of games with screenshots, reviews, and whatnot. Huge community.

As for a games compatibility/setting list... possibly a wiki *shrug* Or... maybe get in contact with who runs Moby Games to add it as an item to their database. Tried to contact them once myself, but never got a response.

Reply 6 of 7, by towerz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I appreciate you offering a partial solution, but like twistedemotions said, mobygames doesn't offer DOSBox compatibility information. I don't appreciate having to go to multiple sites to compile all the information for a single game that is available. Remember I said the DOSBox games list had "potential", combining information that is already out there into a single source.

I'ved used mobygames for years and while I like a lot they have to offer it still doesn't fully express the capability to relive playing those games. I doubt they will change their policies to start announcing which games are compatible with certain emulators, as DOS games aren't the only things they catalog and there are many different emulators for many different systems they'd have to track to be fair.