Dosbox with Gilde2x.ovl

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 84, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ipse dixit et facta sunt
Ipse mandavit et creata sunt
(from the outer wings of the "Garden of Earthly Delights" by J. Bosch in Madrid)

in other words, the OpenGLid.ini trick has worked as you said
and all I can say is thanks a lot 😁

Reply 41 of 84, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A little report after some experimenting with ykhwong cvs build, glide and Tomb Raider 1 & UB, fullscreen and output=overlay.

Tried it using 2 different machines, both with ATI Radeon cards :

is a desktop from 2004, Intel Pentium 4 @3.0 GHz Prescott HT (2 CPUs), 512 MB RAM,
ATI Radeon Sapphire 9600 Pro Atlantis 256 MB VRAM, driver version 6.14.10.6525

a 2006 laptop, Intel Centrino Core Duo T2300 @1.66 GHz (2 CPUs), 1024 MB RAM,
ATI Radeon X1600 256 MB VRAM, driver v. 6.14.10.6587

only problem playing TR1\TRUB with glide emulation, it's real dark, 😎 which can still be fixed fiddling about through the imho too involved ATI control panel settings, then it's fine, smooth and nice to see 😁

here the hordes of Darkness have been defeated, or maybe the boost of RAM counts, anyway there's no need to tune the gamma thing anymore.
As for the cons department, here once out of three or four there's a weird texture corruption, 😵 especially in the new game case after the fmv's are over and the real game should begin, nothing though that won't be fixed either loading a savegame, or starting the dosbox session over again, then it's all gone and the gameplay is good. 😉

Looking forward to trying another laptop equipped with an nVidia GeForce (that's a 5600, I think) card asap to see the difference.

The bottom line is with a little patience in both cases the game is pretty playable and the visual glide effect is good and smooth, much more than I had ever hoped when I decided to try the cvs.

Thanks and kudos to all you developers there.

Reply 42 of 84, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, gamma is controlled by the game itself (using grGammaCorrectionValue), this is then passed to the wrapper which is responsible for setting correct gamma. Openglide (w/ SDL patch) relies on SDL call SDL_SetGammaRamp to set correct gamma value so it's possible SDL messes it up 😁. During testing I found it did not work in some cases, but it worked later after a restart...
As for texture corruption I did not encounter this problem...

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 43 of 84, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looking forward to trying another laptop equipped with an nVidia GeForce (that's a 5600, I think) card asap to see the difference

so I used another pc I'll call #3 whose specs as follows
a laptop who came into being in late 2003 iirc, Pentium 4 3.06 GHz, 512 MB RAM, nVidia GeForce Go 5600 card with 128 MB VRAM and driver version 6.14.10.4401, and yes, WinXP HE SP2, like the other 2 machines.

On this older computer, TR1 & TR UB are almost as playable as with #1 and #2 from my previous post.
It all goes a little more slowly which sure is no surprise, and a little darker especially so for Unfinished Business, saw no texture havoc so far, direct3d for some highly obscure (to me) reason is my best choice for output settings, opengl crashes dosbox completely, but then this happened with #1 & #2 just as well 🙄 so that's no news

Bottom of bottom line 😎
after these 3 tests, I'd say anyone with a CPU => 3 GHz, 1024 MB RAM and a 256 MB RAM video card should be able to play TR1 & UB without too many troubles.

Reply 44 of 84, by Converter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I still can't get Tomb Raider 1 to run on the DOSBox. The game runs the intro and the movies at the beginning and then crashes. I get an error message "CALL:Descriptor 12 unsupported". The game runs just fine in original mode but not in glide. I did all that was posted in this thread and still I can't make it work. What am I doing wrong?

Reply 47 of 84, by Converter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for replying, gulikoza.

Where the glide2x.ovl file would be? I look through all the folders in DosBox downloaded from your and Daum Cafe site and the only glide2x file I found was a DLL file.

Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question but where I suppose to get those files from?

Thanks.

Reply 49 of 84, by Converter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Maybe I have the wrong version of one or more files needed to make it work? Could someone that has managed to make Tomb Raider 1 working on DosBox in glide mode post the files: glide2x.ovl, glide2x.dll, dosbox.conf and tomb.exe (Voodoo Rush version)? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Reply 51 of 84, by Converter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's working! Thank you for your help, gulikoza!

I still get an error... something about unsupported glide version 135? The game runs fine altough sometimes it freezes for a short period of time.

Reply 54 of 84, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It did not work for me. It may not work if you are using ati card.
(1. glide->direct3d wrapper : invalid glide call..
2. glide->opengl wrapper : no opengl acceleration [due to ati graphic driver problem]?)

[EDIT] tested with vista rtm 6000

Last edited by ykhwong on 2006-11-29, 15:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 55 of 84, by Converter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Qbix - Could you please post the dosbox.conf file that you use on your Vista? I have a lot of problems on Vista trying to run TR in DosBox.

ykhwong - it runs just fine on XP with ATI card I have. I get an error message: "unsupported glide version 135" but the game itself runs just fine.

Reply 58 of 84, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What wd meant was if the game runs fine, what problem are you referring to?

Intel CC820 | PIII 667 | 2x128MB SDRAM | 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 @ Dell P790 | Creative SB PCI128 | Fujitsu MPC3064AT 6GB + QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 10 GB | SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-608 | IOMEGA ZIP 100 | Realtek RTL8139C | Agere Win Modem

Reply 59 of 84, by Converter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, in XP it works just fine. In Vista the game (Tomb Raider 1) starts fine I can watch the FMVs but at the main menu the screen goes black. When I select the new game from the passport (blindly) the intro FMV before the first leve plays and I can watch it but when the level starts the screen goes black again. I can hear the background sounds but there is no picture.

Also at the main menu there is not music just the sounds. Do I need VDMSound with DosBox for music to play?