VOGONS

Debugger: Transport Tycoon Deluxe (+Patch)

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by stevenh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

To the folks of DOSBox, you've done an amazing job, DOSBox is an awesome piece of software.

I've recently been developing with the team at TTDPatch to enhance both the Windows and DOS versions of TTD.
Windows is fine to debug, OllyDBG does everything I need... But debugging a DOS application has been a royal pain as of late... Virtual PC/VMWare just love to lock up and a real DOS machine is out of reach.

So, I was wondering if anyone can help me... currently when I switch to the debugger from TTD DOS, I can use it, but the addresses seem to be off? I can't work out how to locate the Patch code at all... and then on top of that, whenever I return to the game I get:
"Fatal Error TNT.10049: Ran out of stack buffers"
I take it "SET STACKS=8,192" doesn't actually effect DOSBox?

Anyway... before I ramble any further... is DOSBox capable of doing what I need it to? I'm more than happy to work with the functionality it currently has if I am able to switch back and forth between TTD DOS, but currently I can't...

Keep up the good work!

update:... turns out the ykhwong debugger has issues (or maybe it was my config)... anyway, I am nearly-succefully now debugging this game. Thanks guys!

I suppose the only feature I could ask for is a less cramped debugging window. What are my options in a windows console window for making it larger? Maybe even a GUI?

Reply 1 of 10, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

are you refering to the window of the DOSBox debugger ?
or of the game debugger in when running it in DOSBox ?

Stacks has no effect in DOSBox. (well we emulate the side effect of it)
DOSBox doesn't have them (and doesn't need them actually)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 10, by stevenh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

the actual dosbox_debugger window.
I'm perousing through the lines of assembler for our patch and trying to work out why the DOS verion of the game is crashing.

(It has been tested and works fine usually, but due to a 'feature' added by 'someone', there are now bugs and I need to squash them!)

Reply 4 of 10, by stevenh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Code view and overall font... I'd love to get this into a GUI or shrink the font and have more rows and columns...
edit: Thoughts on some sort of hook (tcp?) into dosbox to be able to remotely browse the code/data memory?

Last edited by stevenh on 2006-07-20, 23:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 10, by stevenh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

wh000... so it turns out having the cpu on auto cycles causes the stack error on resuming of the debugger... strange.

Anyway, problem solved... I got the bugs out and I can build all the vehicles I need to in TTD under DOSBox.

I'm still keen to take this debugger places though!