VOGONS

Savestates?

Topic actions

First post, by borisb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Would it be possible to implement a state save/reload feature in DosBox? I'm guessing that it would boil down to saving a zipped image of an entire emulated ram (which depends on the setting in dosbox.conf), plus cpu registers and possibly some other memory. I havent dived into sources yet, it's usually better to ask first because someone might know the short answer. 😉

Btw, I'm sorry if a similar topic was already posted, my search came up empty and I'm sure I'm not the first one to think of this...

Reply 1 of 24, by borisb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Now that I think about it, it would be impossible to implement savestates because the emulated dos program sometimes depends on memory other than RAM (for example HD) and loading a memory state saved during a HD write would be...well...bad, to say the least.

Reply 3 of 24, by borisb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh, sorry. Didn't know that a "+" was required in search box.
Well, I guess that it *could* be done if DosBox could use some kind of hard-drive image filesystem as well as local r/w filesystem, but the effort/gain ratio of such impementation woud be very low.

Reply 5 of 24, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
borisb wrote:

Now that I think about it, it would be impossible to implement savestates because the emulated dos program sometimes depends on memory other than RAM (for example HD) and loading a memory state saved during a HD write would be...well...bad, to say the least.

The main reason why it wouldn't work just saving RAM would be the internal states of all the emulated hardware and the emulated DOS. I guess the harware objects (if they are objects, I'm not entirely sure) could be extended with a 'safe state' method, but this is a major operation. Not something anyone would like to do 😀. But I admit it would be a nice feature...

JAL

Reply 7 of 24, by icemann

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If some research was done into how a psp saves everything into temporary memory so that if the psp is turned off then on again it picks up where it left off, that may give you the answers you seek. Not completely obviously as its an entirely different system, but I think it would be something worth looking into.

Two stones, two crosses, the rest is just icing. - 7th Guest

Reply 8 of 24, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
icemann wrote:

If some research was done into how a psp saves everything into temporary memory so that if the psp is turned off then on again it picks up where it left off, that may give you the answers you seek. Not completely obviously as its an entirely different system, but I think it would be something worth looking into.

That would be of absolutely no use whatsoever. What the PSP does is what Windows or Linux does when hibernating. But remember that's OSes doing that, not emulators! Besides, the PSP is a closed sytem, there's absolutely no way to do 'some research' into it. If anything, looking at other emulators would be useful, but we basically already know how to do that stuff, it's just its a goddamn awful lot of work.

JAL

Reply 9 of 24, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Even if leaving out console emulators, there are some differences in
dosbox compared to e.g. bochs/qemu which make it even more difficult
(not that savestates are an easy thing in bochs).
It is caused by the callback design, which resulted in the need for
an interesting but hard to save pagefault mechanism, as well as the
code for RunRealInt/RunRealFar (though those have been reduced
in amount already).

Reply 10 of 24, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wd wrote:
Even if leaving out console emulators, there are some differences in dosbox compared to e.g. bochs/qemu which make it even more […]
Show full quote

Even if leaving out console emulators, there are some differences in
dosbox compared to e.g. bochs/qemu which make it even more difficult
(not that savestates are an easy thing in bochs).
It is caused by the callback design, which resulted in the need for
an interesting but hard to save pagefault mechanism, as well as the
code for RunRealInt/RunRealFar (though those have been reduced
in amount already).

Without knowing the details, could this be handled by delaying the actual safestate to a (slightly) later time (e.g. when any pagefaults have been resolved)?

JAL

Reply 11 of 24, by Srecko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Except if they aren't resolved for a long time or aren't resolved until game exits?

Maybe use a special handler which would dump dosbox process memory to image is possibe, but it needs to take care about saving state of input/output, date&time, filesystem (maybe enable this only within archive file so changes can be tracked?)...and maybe it requires changes to SDL too. It'd be very hackish.

Though for simpler real mode games it might be possible without a lot less headache (those without save ability are mostly older).

Reply 12 of 24, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Actually having some checkpoints (ie. waiting for pagefaults to
return) is the solution i have in mind for the pagefault case.
It is already assumed (normal/full core only, and callback c-code)
that pagefault handlers always return, and they should do so in
very little time (not noticable to the user).
But this technique cannot be used for recursive calling of the
shell (simple example: something uses int21/4b with command line
"command.com /c program.exe") because it might delay saving for
program-running time (too long...)
Also it doesn't work for keyboard input loops (dos con device
reading, which uses CALLBACK_RunRealInt(0x16); to read keys
using the bios). Faking key-presses is not an option as int16
might be intercepted.

Saving the running executable image sounds nice, but surely
would limit the savestates to one executable, so it's not
really preferable imo.

Reply 14 of 24, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Save States is something we`d all love to see at some stage.

I'd like it to be implemented so that people would stop asking about it. Geesh. Does anyone read the "Wish List Thread"?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 16 of 24, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Umm, not sure what your saying but my post was basically stating that I really didn't give a **** about save state support except to get rid of the whiners. I guess you have a problem with that?

Reply 17 of 24, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Well, I guess WD misunderstood you... (thinking that you mean it literally, not ironically - and therefore getting angry).
It struck me immediately when I saw both comments in the morning... I wanted to add my reply here but was too lazy...

No need to start fighting...

Mirek

Reply 18 of 24, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote:

Umm, not sure what your saying but my post was basically stating that I really didn't give a **** about save state support except to get rid of the whiners. I guess you have a problem with that?

I don't have a problem with you not being interested in save states, but personally I find it a very interesting topic. Most posts here weren't wining but constructive thinking (imho, of course).

JAL

Reply 19 of 24, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not here, the posts we get every week on the forum asking for save state support. Annoying to put it mildly.