VOGONS

Magic Carpet crashing (CVS)

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 91, by dragonmaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i tested without any sound, result was the game doesnt crash, but it slows down to nearlly zero frames and the gfx is corrupted and black only the overviewcard is still shown correctly.

Reply 61 of 91, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Attached a testbuild for mc2 (still didn't crash for me but i'm bad
at that game) with a few things disabled. Maybe it helps...

Attachments

• Filename
    test.rar
    File size
    903.52 KiB
    Downloads
    364 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 64 of 91, by dragonmaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You need some trys before it crash, somtimes it crash more often when you try to attack the flame by your hammer, but mostly it crashs when you are attacked by the flame

Attachments

• Filename
    GAME00.exe
    File size
    222.69 KiB
    Downloads
    423 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 65 of 91, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It is (caused by) the same bug as the one that crashes archimedean dynasty.
At least with the fix i couldn't get stonekeep to crash battling those flames
(thanks for this savegame, i'm still at those rats and goblins).

The bug is very old but didn't show up yet. You could try the workaround
suggested by red_avatar that makes archimedean dynasty work, that is
using dos32a. Didn't try that yet though.

Reply 68 of 91, by kublikhan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Magic Carpet 2 frequently crashes in highres mode in a native dos environment, without dosbox. Are you trying to fix a non-dosbox related error? http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.ibm.p … 299ba4d1abf442f

Reply 69 of 91, by Zachariah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been playing magic carpet 1 in dosbox 0.70 lately, and it runs great. Except that it crash from time to time, and speed isn't that good (so i have to turn graphics all the way down). Its very well playable, especially when you save a lot the crashes don't hurt to much, but sometimes the game simply freeze (screen freeze, sound replaying the last sound over and over), or crash to dos.

I've also been playing magic carpet 2 for a couple hours to test that out today. It ran just fine, still a bit slow, just the same as magic carpet 1. What is strange as magic carpet 2 ran slower on my old 468. I remember magic carpet 2 used to be almost unplayable. It did not crash at all.

As far as i remember, magic carpet 2 didn't have stability problems on my old 486 (and/or PI, I'm not sure). Magic carpet 1 however has always been a instable game. I ran just fine on my old 486, but crashed horribly on a friends comp. That crash was a whole lot different from what happens in dosbox however.

Reply 70 of 91, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

So you want crash reproducability of dosbox? That's not really a goal...
And the crashes of mc1 are related to their (a tad buggy) sound code
thus disabling sbx should solve this.

Reply 71 of 91, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I played MC 1 and 2 a lot back in the day, even going for 5 straight days (and nights) to complete MC2 with two buddies on machines like including:-

1. 486 DX66 OverDrive w/ Tseng ET4000, SB Pro and 2MB RAM

2. 486 DX4 100 w/ Number 9 VL BUS Motion 531, SB 16 and 4MB RAM - even had one of the VFX1 VR Headsets to test MC1 out with on this machine. WAAAY ahead of it's time and slightly headache inducing.

3. P75 w/ Number 9 Motion 771 PCI, SB AWE32, GUS and 32MB RAM.

Both games basically never crashed for me. As for all EA/Bullfrog games of the day I just used Himem.sys and Loadhigh in the CONFIG.SYS. Regardless of what some noobs might've said in '95 I just have to disagree, neither game crashed at all for me. That doesn't mean the games have no bugs, it's just more likely that the real hardware was more variant and forgving than DOSBox's core logic.

Reply 72 of 91, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well mc2 is probably buggy (after debugging it) when selecting the soundblaster 16 sound routines. How likely the bug the will trigger on real hardware is hard to predict. DOSBox is afterall an emulator.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 73 of 91, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The debugged game was mc1 (dma counter).
Anyways browsing newsgroups about magic carpet 1 and 2 it seems that
people who played it a lot got it crashing rather reliably. Suppose it depends
on the system specifica.

Reply 74 of 91, by Combover

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been having a different problem getting magic carpet to work. I had the ISO of MC plus and dragged contents onto the hard drive. I de-"read only"-ed everything and tried running on dosbox. The dos4gw exe just returned an error when I tried to run it, while the carpet exe gave me a list of "illegal read" then some "illegal write" errors on dosbox 0.72 after selecting the sound card (to avoid problems I chose no sound and no music.). Using the daum cafe CVS build of 0.72 I get about a million (neverending stream) of "illegal read" errors. Have tried a few suggestions from this forum but none seem to work. Any ideas on this?

Reply 76 of 91, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Read my 60 Seconds Guide to DOSBox (and don't just read it - follow it too).

Instead of mounting your physical CD-drive as drive D, mount the ISO-image by using

imgmount D path-to-ISO-file -t iso

If that doesn't help, come back with details on how you mounted your C and D drives, how you did the install, how you configured sound, music etc.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 77 of 91, by Combover

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the advice!
I tried this and it said "image must be on local or host drive" something like that. I had already mounted the ISO using daemon tools. Most likely I'm still doing something wrong?

Reply 78 of 91, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Don't use Daemon Tools. Use imgmount inside DOSBox and mount the ISO-file directly.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 79 of 91, by Combover

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The mount seems to work now, when I run the carpet/carpet.exe this time I get a few errors that look like this:
ERROR File data/build0-0.dat
press return to continue, then the same for build0-0.tab, tmaps 0-0.tab, pal0-0.dat, mspr0-0.dat, mspr0-0.tab, blk0-1.tab (thought that you couldn't have '-' in a file name so this is a bit odd), then after selecting no sound/music I get the same illegal read/write messages.