DosBox SDL on Symbian S60 / N-Gage

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by Pickle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Freddo wrote:

[quote="Pickle"
The S60 phones today have 128mb RAM so that's not an issue, and the vast majority of DOS games use 320x200 so that's no issue either.

Ah i was going by the stats given at the beginning of this thread.

An update on the ARM recompilier backend it has been finished. Ive been testing with it on the GP2X, I think its given a bit of a performace gain in certain games.

Reply 21 of 25, by Smeg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just wanted to keep this thread alive - I too have a Nokia E90 and would love to see DosBox on it.

I'm starting with something a bit simpler - a port of Angband to the E90 using SDL. Angband is already highly portable and has been ported to many systems. There is already an SDL port which works out of the box on Windows / Mac / Linux with SDL installed, so it shouldn't be too difficult to get it running on the E90 with SDL.

Ha. Anyway, if I get that working, I'll have a look at the DosBox sources afterwards. If my E90 lasts that long.

Cheers,

CC

Reply 23 of 25, by Pickle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you have the 128 mb and 320x240 screen that these phones seem to have now, if SDL is in good shape and theres a cross complier it should be very simple. You shouldn't have to make any changes to the source if they are they should be minor.

Reply 24 of 25, by calhau0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

it's not impossible to run dos on symbian s60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwZvM-dgETs

and even linux

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWkDhLMXTaM

looks like someone is working on symbian uiq dosbox emulator

dosboxuiq.blogspot.com/

Reply 25 of 25, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
calhau0 wrote:

it's not impossible to run dos on symbian s60

I don't think anyone said it is. The negative comments are regarding the N-Gage, which was released back in 2003. A lot has since then happened. Processor speed is still an issue for many games, but it would run.

calhau0 wrote:

looks like someone is working on symbian uiq dosbox emulator

dosboxuiq.blogspot.com/

He already dropped it.