VOGONS

0.70 for Mac Freezing

Topic actions

Reply 43 of 141, by darkgamorck

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Has anybody found a work-around for this on the Mac? As it stands right now, this is a DOSBox killer for me. There is no point in playing if every 30 minutes the emulator goes dead on me.

Reply 46 of 141, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

weird. could the timer destabalize from the frame altough fmod should generate usueful stuff.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 48 of 141, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Well at the moment i'm not sure what of the posted information is valid
and what not (due to the debugger!=logging thing).
Maybe somebody can figure out if it works only for a few (typically similar)
games and if it's reproducable on win/linux as well for those. Especially
if it's happening at the start of some game, not after 20mins of playing.

Thanks for your and the other people's help so far. Hope the reason
can be figured out...

Reply 51 of 141, by yerejm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh, I meant game release date. I could go dive into the cvs log for vga_misc.cpp, I guess....

It changed majorly in the latest revision. I'll roll back and try it out.
Dune 2 says initializing but doesn't go anywhere or at least, it didn't go anywhere in the time I left it going.

Reply 52 of 141, by yerejm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As reported, Dune 2 and Albion cause the live(?)lock.
Went back to Dune. Lock occurred during a menu flip, but only after some time into the game. Previous menu flips were fine.
Went back to Dragon Strike. 3D first person. Lock occurred during dragon flight after some time. Flew in a circle until it locked. Input and sound still work.
Went back to Curse of the Azure Bonds. Sat in the demo loop. No lock occurred in the time spent running.
Hero's Quest (original EGA Quest for Glory) looks okay. Played for over an hour and no issue. However, when I quit and tried Dune 2, Dune 2 says initializing but does not start up. Quit dosbox and restarted and tried Dune 2 again and worked fine. So I guess even it a game is unaffected, some state is set such that any game that would be affected gets affected immediately.

Reply 53 of 141, by yerejm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, I think I can simulate it happening at the start of a game. I first have to play a game that is not affected for a while (e.g. EGA Quest for Glory), exit, and then play a game that is known to be affected (e.g. Dune 2). When starting the second game, it appears to lock on startup.

I ran Dragonstrike on dosbox 0.70 for win32 and linux and there is no lock was experienced after an hour or so.

Reply 54 of 141, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

weird weird.
I could give you the date that the last "big" changes to the vga timing were implemented. but it seems to be a problem only on the mac.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 58 of 141, by darkgamorck

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So this is definitely a dosbox issue then eh? I assume both versions of DOSBox were tested against the same SDL version, right?**

** Of course it may some sort of bug in the Mac version of SDL that is only brought out by the change made on 01-30.

Reply 59 of 141, by yerejm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried SDL 1.2.11 (current) and it locked.
I tried 1.2.10 and it locked.
I tried 1.2.9 whose date of release puts it at dosbox 0.65, but couldn't figure out how to compile it and gave up.
Looks like dosbox to me since I tried 2007-01-20 with SDL 1.2.11 and I couldn't get it to lock.