VOGONS

LFN in dosbox

Topic actions

First post, by VisitntX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is there a way to use long file names in dosbox or will be this function added in the future?

Reply 1 of 42, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think if you boot DOS v7+ or use FreeDOS in DosBox then LFN's will probably work.

As for LFN's using just Dosbox, most likely not. DosBox can use host LFB's externally but internally it's just 8.3. It's a feature.

There's also compatibility with other OS's to think about when doing LFN's in the guest vs the host.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 42, by anonym9191

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I also would like to get LFN support.
I know it was said that DOS didn't have LFN and therefore there are no games that use LFN BUT this is not correct.
There are newer DOS Games that use LFN, e.g. DBZ Final Resistance (from what I know this game is using MUGEN) and that game uses many file names that don't fit the 8.3 filename format because it was designed to be used under Windows (I believe 2000 or XP).
However it would not work under 64Bit Vista e.g.
By editing the config files you could change all the names to 8.3 though but that is really much do to but I changed at least a bit of it to find out that the game would work generally if there would be LFN support...
Also: I tried to start the FreeDOS command.com and LH DOSLFN but still I couldn't get LFN names displayed or accessed (probably because there is already the other command.com used before).

Reply 4 of 42, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The fact that there's a DOS version of MUGEN doesn't make a MUGEN "game" a native DOS game. Tell me one single "real" DOS game that's using LFN. I would be amazed if there was one, because using LFN for a native DOS game would make it unplayable on its designated platform. The fact that MUGEN doesn't run in Vista (as you're saying) doesn't make DOS/DOSBox an feasible alternative by default for playing crappy homebrew fighting games.

Oh, and btw, you were reviving an ancient thread, and the op's problem has nothing to do with your "request".

Reply 5 of 42, by anonym9191

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It is a thread about LFN from the subject and therefore it fits.
Most times in forums, people like it more if you post in already existing threads - even if they are old.

I just said there are such game and they would work with DOS Box.
If you like them or not or play them or not (I normally don't play them either) doesn't matter.
They exist.
And also DOS v7+ had also long filename support (though I believe that one was no standalone version anymore but still ...).
Especially since the OS behind DOS Box already has LFN support.
Currently DOSBox does it the opposite way: Creating Short filenames from LFN, so there is no realy reason to also support LFN.

Reply 6 of 42, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
anonym9191 wrote:

It is a thread about LFN from the subject and therefore it fits.
Most times in forums, people like it more if you post in already existing threads - even if they are old.

I don't know what forums you frequent but on almost all technical forums they want you to post in your own thread with your own issue....not bring up old threads that may have some faint link to your issue.

Even if all other forums did something another way this isn't those other forums. On these forums we want you to post in your own thread with your own issue.

I just said there are such game and they would work with DOS Box.

Yes but it isn't really a DOS game now is it?

Why should DOSBox devs screw up DOSBox to support devs who don't care enough about DOS to support it or follow it's standards?

If you like them or not or play them or not (I normally don't play them either) doesn't matter
They exist.

So you don't play the game but because it's a game that supposedly requires LFN you want LFN support in DOSBox? WTF?

And also DOS v7+ had also long filename support (though I believe that one was no standalone version anymore but still ...).

DOSBox goal is not to support MS-DOS 7....hmmm I wonder why...mabye because most MS-DOS games were not programmed for MS-DOS 7? Could be. (And for those that were they would still run fine in earlier versions of MS-DOS).

Especially since the OS behind DOS Box already has LFN support.

There is no OS behind DOSBox. If you mean the host operating system then yes that would support LFN.

Yes but MS-DOS didn't support LFN and DOS games don't need it so therefore DOSBox doesn't need it. The only reason people want it is so that they can have extremely long file/path names in DOSBox because they are lazy.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 42, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote:

The only reason people want it is so that they can have extremely long file/path names in DOSBox because they are lazy.

Besides, it doesn't matter as far as mounting. Folders with LFNs can be mounted in the [autoexec] by enclosing the path in quotes. What more do you honestly need?

Reply 8 of 42, by anonym9191

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Especially technical forums because otherwise you get plenty of threads which eventually discuss the same issue.
I am not talking about things that are not about the same topic or only minimal connected.
But this here was about LFN and my post was about LFN and so it perfectly fits.
I just wanted to make clear that LFN could have really few reasons in DosBox too - though you are right and it shouldn't be needed.
I might have explained the situation a bit wrong before (after all I am no native English speaker). I just wanted to add that there might be reasons for adding LFN though there really isn't that much need for it.
And no I don't need LFN 😀 Though I still would like to see it but not for myself, more for others that might have a need for it and of course it would be convenient for myself sometimes.
I just wanted to add this piece of information regarding LFN and therefore a new thread would have been more or less stupid.

And yes I meant the host OS.

Reply 9 of 42, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Currently DOSBox does it the opposite way: Creating Short filenames from LFN, so there is no realy reason to also support LFN.

That's not how it works, because you got dos applications, thus have to
implement the very ugly lfn interface stuff. No use for that really.

Reply 11 of 42, by orynider

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In the "Why DOSLFN, what's that?", the author of DOSLFNs driver for Dos and Windows 3.x, he explain why LFNs "not work while running Windows 3.11" and he sais to "switch off the 32bit disk access".

http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~heha/hs_freew … what_lfn.en.htm

krnl386w31vm16bfalfns.png

In the screenshot is shown that 32b is turned off since this is not supported with latest version of dosbox svn plus a permanent pagefile or a swapfile cant be created.

The Lfnxlat enh driver was writen in asm 386p model and the source is included with the driver.
From the header: "Converter DOSLFN the LFN API (and third-DOS driver) for long file names to protected mode API (newer, 16bit) Windows programs for all Windows and DOS boxes".

Reply 12 of 42, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

What's the point of your post? That the lfn driver works, doesn't work, or that 32bit disk access/permanent swap file doesn't work (which afaik never worked, not just svn).
I can't quite get the point, honestly not meant offensive

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 13 of 42, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
orynider wrote:

From the header: "Converter DOSLFN the LFN API (and third-DOS driver) for long file names to protected mode API (newer, 16bit) Windows programs for all Windows and DOS boxes".

And do not mix common 'DOS boxes' with DOSBox. 😉

Klimawandel.

Reply 16 of 42, by Kazoo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Apparently, it worked.

http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?showID=3944&letter=T

Here's the MobyGames listing for it:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/town-with-n … eCoverId,15704/

It was made in '93. I haven't been able to spot any requirements, other than 286 AT.