Time and Date Issue

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 35, by Chris_AU

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi h-a-l-9000

Another quick update for you.

You've probably worked this out already, but it is every leap year that this date issue happens... all other years appear to work fine.

Is this something that you maybe able to correct on you next update 😀 , or is it something we simply need to live with 🙁 ?

Thanks for all the work you have done with DOSBox to date... it's great.

Cheers

Chris

Reply 23 of 35, by Chris_AU

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi h-a-l-9000

I've downloaded and installed the your lasted version of dosbox.exe (04/30/2008) and all the dlls again.

The date seems to be working great now (thank you very much), but now with that version of the 'exe' file, the serial comms (serial1) no longer works. It loads, but won’t communicate. If I go back to the previous version (07 March 08 I think) then the serial comms works fine again.

Has there been a change to the Config commands.

Once again, thank you for all your previous help.

Cheers

Chris

Reply 24 of 35, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Some timing stuff (rxdelay related) has changed in those builds.

Try this:
http://home.arcor.de/h-a-l-9000/test/dosbox_serial14.zip
Contains the serial FIFO patch and the date/time.
Fixed a bug in it.

1+1=10

Reply 25 of 35, by Chris_AU

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi h-a-l-9000

I downloaded your lasted version from the above link (dosbox_serial14.exe), but unfortunately the serial comms (serial1) also doesn't work with this version. Once again, when I switch back to the version dated 20 March 08, then the serial comms works fine again.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I do appreciate all you have been doing.

Many thanks

Chris

Reply 26 of 35, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

h-a-l-9000 the configuration options might not be passed to the serial class. I modified and put it on the todo list to make the use the new options.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 27 of 35, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The realport:com1 must have gotten through or else my own tests wouldn't have worked...

And my 'Megabuilds' (opposed to the file I linked to here) don't use the new configuration scheme yet.

@Chris_AU:
Is something happening on the status window?

Try the rxdelay:1 parameter and if it doesn't work the dbgall parameter which will create a log fine in the subdirectory 'capture'. Create that directory if it doesn't exist or else it will crash 😉. Maybe that log file can tell me what is wrong. Do you use the date /s command? If so, try without.

1+1=10

Reply 28 of 35, by Chris_AU

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi h-a-l-9000

You are a wonderful person 😀

Yes, I was using the date /s command.

As soon as I removed that command, the serial comms (serial1) worked again (thank you) 😀

FYI, this is my serial config: serial1=directserial realport:COM1 rxdelay: 10 txdelay: 10

Are my delays too long? It has been working fine with these settings.

If you would like to follow-up further, please let me know if you would still like me to run the dbgall parameter.

For me, I'm very happy to run without using the date /s command.

As usual, thank you for all your work.

Cheers

Chris

Reply 29 of 35, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Thanks for reporting back.

> rxdelay: 10 txdelay: 10

txdelay on directserial? 😉

And if you have the space : 10 in there it doesn't work.

Looks like it needs milliseconds resolution time which date /s can't provide.
(any cross-platform way to get the current milliseconds?)

With this info I don't need the debug output anymore.

1+1=10

Reply 30 of 35, by augnober

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

SDL's timing is pretty unambitious, basically targeting the lowest common denominator rather than allowing variable performance based on queries of the capability. It's bitten me before, since there have been times that I'd be content to make use of the best performance possible of any platform (with calculations adjusted according to queried frequency), and it doesn't particularly matter if the performance is equal across platforms. Even something as simple as raiding SDL's sourcecode for the higher precision timers underlying the SDL calls will make it possible to get you some better results.. though that would probably mean the code won't make it into the main repo.

Reply 32 of 35, by Chris_AU

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Looking for help again with a Date and Time issue since I installed DOSBox 0.74
We now have a problem where the date does not change to the next day at/ after midnight and the time simply keeps adding on/ up. Eg. at 2:30am it wll show 26:30pm and the day does not change.

Running DOSBox on Win XP Pro, 32 bit OS.

I'm hoping that someone can help. In the meantime I;ve had to revert back to DOSBox 0.72, which has no Dtae and Time issue (for us anyway).

Thanks
Chris

Reply 34 of 35, by Chris_AU

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your quick reply.

I fluked upon this thread, Dos application for mining pit monitoring system -- URGENT --, which gave me the answer I was looking for.
I've now installed, DOSBox_Megabuild5-win32-installer.exe and it seems to be working great at this stage.

Cheers
Chris