VOGONS

NE2000 Patch on OS X ?

Topic actions

First post, by Farnsworth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This will probably be my last question

I applied the NE2000 patch to the source on Mac, but the site said that you needed The Pcap Library. Can't find Pcap for Mac on their site. Do I need to build it myself ?

Reply 1 of 20, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Not sure, but this (Win)Pcap lib allows the NE2000 patch to talk directly to the machines Ethernet-card. You need to find something similar for OSX.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 20, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The people on the pcap website should know about that - if you do a Google search there seems to be a pcap for Mac indeed. Don't expect too much though as I didn't test my patch on big endian computers.

1+1=10

Reply 5 of 20, by Farnsworth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Compiled it, created dosbox.conf file, found the NE2000 stuff so the patch works. But h-a-l-9000, you're the creator of it, your readme said : The first time you run DOSBox with this patch, set the 'realnic' value to 'list'. The list of interfaces will appear in the DOSBox Status Window:

realnic was standard set to list but when I opened DOSBox nothing happens, I don't see the list.
I actualy want to install it in Windows 3.11 in DOSBox, wich driver should I use ?

Thanks

Reply 6 of 20, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I had to install that Pcap/libcap thing (in Windows) before the 'list' thing worked. Looks like libcap is not installed/not working for you.

Reply 7 of 20, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The DOSBox Status window is the console, not the main DOSBox window. If it can't find pcap there should be an error message in the status window.

For Win3.11 you should use the NE2000 or NE2000 compatible drivers but you must boot it from a DOS image for the network to work.

1+1=10

Reply 8 of 20, by Farnsworth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
I had to install that Pcap/libcap thing (in Windows) before the 'list' thing worked. Looks like libcap is not installed/not working for you.

Indeed, compiling went wrong,
gcc -O2 -I. -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -c ./nametoaddr.c
./nametoaddr.c:370: error: conflicting types for 'ether_hostton'
/usr/include/net/ethernet.h:120: error: previous declaration of 'ether_hostton' was here
make: *** [nametoaddr.o] Error 1

The DOSBox Status window is the console

OS X doesn't have that.

you must boot it from a DOS image for the network to work.

Never tested it with Windows 3.11 because when I tried to boot MS-DOS 5.0 and 6.22 DOSBox gave me an error.

Reply 10 of 20, by Farnsworth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you run it from a Terminal session that should allow you to see any error / status messages. Also, is the console optional in the compile? Did you disable it?

Ran it from Terminal and saw this :

CONFIG: Using default settings. Create a configfile to change them
2008-12-22 23:53:17.033 DOSBox[62985:10b] Warning once: This application, or a library it uses, is using NSQuickDrawView, which has been deprecated. Apps should cease use of QuickDraw and move to Quartz.
MIDI:Opened device:coreaudio

Network Interface List
-----------------------------------

No list...it ends there.

Could it be that the list won't show up because while compiling libpcap I got this ?

gcc -O2 -I. -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -c ./nametoaddr.c 
./nametoaddr.c:370: error: conflicting types for 'ether_hostton'
/usr/include/net/ethernet.h:120: error: previous declaration of 'ether_hostton' was here
make: *** [nametoaddr.o] Error 1

And I don't think it's an option to compile it with a status window.

Reply 12 of 20, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

You need root access rights to get to the network interfaces.
Or add yourself to the permissions somehow.

And about the list please read the dosbox.conf comments...

1+1=10

Reply 13 of 20, by Farnsworth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I do it with root access I get this :

Network Interface List ----------------------------------- 1. en0 (no description) […]
Show full quote

Network Interface List
-----------------------------------
1. en0
(no description)

2. fw0
(no description)

3. en1
(no description)

4. lo0
(no description)

so I replaced "list" with en1 (because I'm using that) and when I ran it again from root I got

Using Network interface: en1 (no description) […]
Show full quote

Using Network interface:
en1
(no description)

Unable to open the interface: BIOCSRTIMEOUT: Invalid argument.

could it be it doesn't work with en1 (wireless AirPort) ? Tomorrow I can test it with a LAN... (en0)

Reply 15 of 20, by Farnsworth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tried en0 today and it also gives the same error. I think you're right, no NE2000 on Mac...
But one more question, is it normal that I have these things in the list like en0 en1 fw and something else I forgot? or what's normal to appear there ?

Reply 19 of 20, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Try here:

http://www.georgpotthast.de/sioux/packet.htm