VOGONS

First post, by drsassafras

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been talking with DBGL the frontend.

I thought it would be handy if there was descriptions of what each option does when using the frontend. Turns out there is too much work involved to accomplish this.

My Question is this-

Can the comments in the Config File be re-formatted, so a bot can determine what comments go with what options? This would allow any frontend to automate its descriptions, they can use the comments in the config file. It would also mean more language support for both DosBox Config files and also the frontends. When a frontend is being translated, the config file in that language would naturally be translated and submitted to dosbox.& Likewise, when Dosbox comes up with another language, the frontends could use it.

Comments for each individual option could be placed before the option to allow a bot to recognize it, or it could be placed on the same line after the option. If there are comments that are not attached to any specific option, a double ## could be used to tell the bot not to include it in the rendering. Some kind of algorithm could be worked out.

I don't know all of what would be involved in doing this, but I presume it would be a relatively small job.

I know DBGL would be very happy to have a easy way to increase its user-friendliness. It would most probably also mean less tech support needed on the part of everyone as well.

Reply 2 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

It all comes down to programming the parser/bot and a reformat of the config file would not and instead break ALL frontends, guides, posts in this forum, other forums, magazines featuring articles on Dosbox and so on... So little gain and so much breakage...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

true enough 😀
But at least it doesn't break EVERYTHING...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 5, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

Why would it be difficult to parse from the current format? It would require some work, but difficult?

From my own experience, it was *not* difficult to alter the Mac OS X frontend I've created.
I even believe it is the one with the most updates of all Mac DOSBox frontends together,
because it has not been coded once and then forgotten by the author like other applications.

Klimawandel.