VOGONS

First post, by Malor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Symptom: Starting Romance of the 3 Kingdoms III will cause a crash after about thirty seconds, with this error message:

"Exit to error: Ran out of CacheBlocks"

Reproduction: Start 3k3 and let it run. It will show a couple of title screens, show a dragon crest graphic, and then crash. If you see a bunch of red Chinese characters on the screen, or scrolling English text, you have gotten past the point where I typically crash.

If you skip the intro, it will still crash, but it will take longer. I'm suspicious that it's related to the number of music events, since the initial score has many drumbeats that don't exist in the main title theme. It takes longer for the main theme to generate as many notes.

This happens with any version of OPL hardware and any emulation mode. Interestingly, it seems to be tied to CPU mode. I typically run dynamic core, 33000 cycles, but dynamic with 8000 cycles also crashes at exactly the same time. However, normal core with 8000 cycles will not crash; it runs fine. For obvious reasons, I can't try normal mode 33K. 😀

My system specs:

ASUS P6T motherboard
Core i7 920 at 2.66Mhz (not overclocked or overvolted, running stock speeds in all respects)
12 gigs of DDR3 DRAM (stock speeds)
GTX 295 with lots of VRAM, don't remember how much
Asus Xonar D2X soundcard
Windows 7 64-bit
DOSBox 0.73

Hope that's useful to you. I'll also put a note in the compatibility list if I'm able to add one.

Reply 2 of 4, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is an old unfixed bug with the dynamic core, revealed more when the default number of cacheblocks was increased. Without fixing the bug, the options are lowering cacheblocks and recompiling or running normal core.

Reply 4 of 4, by Malor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry, I spaced on this thread.

You mean on real computer without dosbox, or in dosbox configured to use oplpassthrough to real hardware opl chip?

I meant any emulated version of opl. My actual soundcard is listed at the bottom, an Asus Xonar.

re: running normal core: I know that works. I even posted that as a workaround in the Compatibility List. I'm just trying to let you know that dynamic core has a problem with this game.