VOGONS

First post, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

(New information at bottom of post.)

I've run into a bit of an issue with recording video from the latest version of DOSBox and after a bit of investigating I've concluded that something has changed between DOSBox 0.73 and DOXBox 0.74 that has semi-broken the video recording when the cycle count is set to max.

Tyrian 2000 has been the first game I've run into this issue with as it's the first game I've tried to record since upgrading to 0.74. I've never had problems recording from Tyrian 2000 with DOSBox 0.73 or 0.72, but upon installing 0.74, while recording the cycle rate sometimes drops so low that you can watch the screen slowly refresh a single frame, and at random moments the rate fluctuates wildly. The problem doesn't seem to be related to what's going on on-screen, as it can happen while browsing the menus, rather it seems to get worse the longer it's been recording for. It also happens both when full-screen or windowed.

I've watched the CPU usage during these issues and CPU usage never changes and fluctuates the way it normally does, though I've noticed a slight drop in overall CPU usage while recording.

Just to be sure I'm not going crazy I've been flip-flopping between 0.73 and 0.74 using identical config files. Each time, 0.73 records fine, 0.74 doesn't.

DOXBox 0.73 runs pretty much every DOS game I have so it's not too big a deal, I can keep using 0.73 for recording for now, and recording with a fixed cycle count in 0.74 works the way it always has, but I figured I'd better speak up now so that whatever change has caused this problem can be fixed ASAP and not end up in future versions.

System Specs:
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 2.2 GHz
RAM: 2 GB
Video: GeForce 9800 GT Chipset /w 1 GB RAM
Audio: Realtek On-Board Chipset

As for Tyrian 2000's settings, I'm running at "pentium" detail levels and using SoundBlaster sound support.

I have not yet tested to see if this problem exists on my Windows 98SE machine.

EDIT:

Just a little bit more information as I've been testing with a few other games. The drop in game refresh is completely unrelated to whatever game I'm playing with DOSBox 0.74 and definitely gets worse the longer I record for, even if running with a fixed cycles count. However, while running with a fixed cycles count, the gameplay is recorded perfectly fine even though the game isn't playing that way.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 1 of 3, by Evilpotatoe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I noticed similar issues :

I installed version 0.74 some days ago and decided to try the new "no-more-corrupted-files-on-exit" feature
Played "Prince of Persia".

Initially, all was ok, but as I was playing, the game got more and more laggy.
After 15 or 20 minutes, it was really a pain, but I decided to finish the game anyway.
After that disappointing experience, I tried with v0.72, and got no lags until the end.

Both runs long about 30 minutes, but the 0.74 is 350 mb large, while the 0.72 is 185 mb only !

Then, I decided to capture the exact same output with both versions (I chose Warcraft intro + first demo), and the files sizes for 1.45 minutes is 20.4 vs 11.4 mb !

(I also read Multithreaded video capturing )
Is this HUGE difference the result of header writing after every chunk ?
Is there an easy fix ? (e.g. write a header every XXX chunks, or only write it when video ends (which a DosBox exit would need to trigger, btw))

Sticking with 0.72 isn't a problem for me, but things are better when fixed.

Reply 2 of 3, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Hmm completely coming to a halt is not intended behaviour, nor doubling the filesize.
I'll see if I can replicate it.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 3, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I've most likely identified the source of the problem.
It would explain the slowing down and the larger files.

Need some persons to test it though.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!