VOGONS

First post, by syke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just making a note here in case I'm too busy this week to coordinate with ppl on the IRC channel, hope I'm not too out of line by doing so 😀

dosbox isn't very friendly with insure++ or purify. insure++ wont' even let dosbox start and purify craps out when I try to start a game. I did get some information on memory leaks, but I'll dump those in IRC tomorrow. these aren't problems with dosbox, but I mentioned on IRC that I would try those tools 😀

Here is my app testing notes:
-idax seems to run out of memory in the middle of analysis. Much better than before, though!

-countdown to doomsday doesn't play intro song correctly

-mean streets locks up on start

-martiam memorandum locks up on start

-system shock CD demo corrupts display when selecting/testing GUS music/sound

-when exiting sshock demo:
HEAP[dosbox.exe]: HEAP: Free Heap block 17d88f8 modified at 17d8b30 after it was freed
at drive_cache.cpp, line 548

(note: system shock CD demo can be found on the net legally. other than these minor problems, it starts and looks/sounds fine!)

-nightmare on elm street speaker sound effects are wrong
(previously files a bug against 0.58)

-quest for glory 4 german disk version (hey, it's on the collection CD) craps out on startup due to some sound initialization problems (appears to have previously been reported)

Reply 1 of 12, by syke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I thought my copy of ghostbusters 2 was corrupt at first, but it looks like a dosbox bug since is plays in the cmd prompt just fine.

running gb2.bat exits immediately. I noticed it calls gbii.com which in turn calls gb.exe. When I run gb.exe in dosbox, it says "packed file corrupt".

I think this used to work in 0.58, but I could be mistaken.

Reply 3 of 12, by Slor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In regards to the code analysis mentioned in the first post... Is anyone interested in complexity metrics for the dosbox source code? If so, I can post results from the analyzer I ran on the latest CVS. If not, then I won't!

Reply 5 of 12, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by syke -countdown to doomsday doesn't play intro song correctly

Plays fine for me.

mean streets locks up on start

Not here.

-martiam memorandum locks up on start

Again, not here.

-system shock CD demo corrupts display when selecting/testing GUS music/sound

Why would you select GUS sound when there is no support for it? In any case, my System Shock still bombs out DosBox. Even if it did run, it would be slow and eat a lot of resources.

Best to run this natively (if possible):
showthread.php?s=&postid=10375#post10375

-nightmare on elm street speaker sound effects are wrong (previously files a bug against 0.58)

Runs on my 0.58, PC-speaker sound is off-tune (so it sounds slightly more horrid than it should).

-quest for glory 4 german disk version (hey, it's on the collection CD) craps out on startup due to some sound initialization problems

Well, the English version only started working properly on the 0.584 Beta, then broke again on the CVS release, appears to be working again in the 0.60 release.

Reply 6 of 12, by Xerxes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Under current CVS - Stonekeep, Quarantine and Horde are working (dpmi off) 😁

edit: newest cvs (29.10) runs StarTrek: Judgement Rites and... System Shock (although slow as hell 😀)

Last edited by Xerxes on 2003-10-29, 12:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 12, by mpetty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Under current CVS, I can't get the horde to run with dpmi on or off. I get the title screen and dosbox says "Attemp to assign GUS to wrong DMA - at 3, assigned 5". It says that twice and then the title screen fades away and nothing ever comes back up.

Reply 9 of 12, by Fizzban

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Found a tiny bug in BatchFile::Goto:

If a label is followed by spaces, you cannot jump there with "goto". DOS just ignores the extra spaces. This small bugfix will take care of that:

Index: shell_batch.cpp
===================================================================
RCS file: /cvsroot/dosbox/dosbox/src/shell/shell_batch.cpp,v
retrieving revision 1.11
diff -r1.11 shell_batch.cpp
125a126,129
> cmd_write--;
> while (cmd_write>=cmd && *cmd_write == ' ')
> *cmd_write-- = 0;
> cmd_write++;

Reply 10 of 12, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

could you make (in the future) a unified diff ?
cvs diff -u
I think we got a function called trim (ltrim and rtrim) which might help in this case.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 11 of 12, by taiken7

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

With regard to "Packed file is corrupt" error,
There is a Checksum in the executable header that
does not match.. by default nowadays these are
set to ignore (0).

Several things - either dosbox doesnt know how to deal with the
Checksum correctly,
or you have a virus, in the executable
or the programmers have changed it so you need a
"loader" to run it (but you can manually reset the value)

(This should fix any problematic programs .. but beware of viruses!)

Reply 12 of 12, by Fizzban

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:

could you make (in the future) a unified diff ?
cvs diff -u

Sure.. 😀

Another update: In the normal core, I replaced all E_Exit and Log calls related to undefined opcodes by a macro. UDEXCEPTION will throw a #UD exception if the program overwrote the INT6 vector (and therefore expects some opcodes to fail). It also outputs a debug message (debug version) or dies if INT6 hasn't be overwritten (release version).

This way, handling illegal or unimplemented opcodes becomes more consistent and closer to the behaviour of a real x86 CPU. Programs that catches the #UD exception are e.g. (some versions of) the LASERLOK copy protection and of course many diagnosis tools.

I also implemented ICEBP and CMOVcc.

Attachments

• Filename
    uddiff.txt
    File size
    11.43 KiB
    Downloads
    244 downloads
    File comment
    Unified diff to the current CVS
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception