VOGONS

3dfx voodoo chip emulation

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 125 of 386, by thedoctor45

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

sorry for asking unnecessary questions, I usually tend to double check things when I'm not 100% sure what I'm going. Anyway the source seems to have compiled correctly now - thats for the help.

I got some of these messages in the console during the compile - are they of any importance?

Making all in ........
make[4]: Nothing to be done for `all'.

I was attempting to launch Tomb Raider [Voodoo Rush version] with the Diamond Monster 3D driver files which I placed into the game folder but the exe tells me it's unable to load the required dll.
Did I overlook something?

Reply 126 of 386, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You need the glide2x.ovl file, not the whole drivers. In the driver archives, the files are usually compressed with microsoft packer (having extension that ends with _)...if that is the case, you need to uncompress it (using expand) or find an uncompressed version.

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 128 of 386, by thedoctor45

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If i set the cpu core to anything but "normal" DOSBox crashes with a segmentation fault when trying to launch Tomb Raider - at normal setting it works but is unplayably slow.

also the 16Bit color bug gives me a headache again.

colorsq.png

the bug and the crash won't happen with the openglide wrapper build.

Reply 130 of 386, by SBlaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First of all, thanks to everybody for their effort in making this possible, and special thanks to thedoctor45 for helping me with some compiling problems. But I have a really strange problem right now, I'm using MinGW + MSYS to compile everything:

c:/dosbox/dosbox/dosbox_org/src/dosbox.cpp:449: referencia a `PCI_Init(Section*)
' sin definir
c:/dosbox/dosbox/dosbox_org/src/dosbox.cpp:450: referencia a `VOODOO_Init(Sectio
n*)' sin definir
hardware/libhardware.a(memory.o): En la funci¾n `Z18MEM_GetPageHandlerj':
c:/dosbox/dosbox/dosbox_org/src/hardware/memory.cpp:147: referencia a `voodoo_pa
gehandler' sin definir
ints/libints.a(bios.o): En la funci¾n `Z13INT1A_Handlerv':
c:/dosbox/dosbox/dosbox_org/src/ints/../../include/callback.h:47: referencia a `
pci_callback' sin definir
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I don't know what to do about it. Thanks again to everybody.

Reply 135 of 386, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

SET SST_TMUMEM_SIZE=2
fixes carmageddon
I found this in voodoo2 drivers in V2-auto.inf file:

;----------------------------------------------------------------------- ; INF file for Voodoo2 based 3D Accelerators running un […]
Show full quote

;-----------------------------------------------------------------------
; INF file for Voodoo2 based 3D Accelerators running under Windows 95/98
; (c) 1998-2000 - 3dfx Interactive, Inc.
;
; Updates autoexec.bat for backwards compatiblities with older games
;
;-----------------------------------------------------------------------

[version]
;Class=MEDIA
signature="$CHICAGO$"

; Install sections
;----------------------------------------
[DefaultInstall]
UpdateAutoBat=Voodoo2.autobat

[Voodoo2.autobat]
CmdAdd=Rem,"Added for Voodoo2"
CmdAdd=set,"SST_GRXCLK=90"
CmdAdd=set,"SST_FT_CLK_DEL=0x4"
CmdAdd=set,"SST_TF0_CLK_DEL=0x6"
CmdAdd=set,"SST_TF1_CLK_DEL=0x6"
CmdAdd=set,"SST_VIN_CLKDEL=0x1"
CmdAdd=set,"SST_VOUT_CLKDEL=0x0"
CmdAdd=set,"SST_TMUMEM_SIZE=2"

btw, i have noticed that dxdiag detects 8MB but 3dmark99max detects only 4MB.

btw2, how is it possible that your emulator has 8MB ram? wiki says there were voodoo1 cards with only 4MB or 6MB

Reply 137 of 386, by kekko

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was thinking again about threading the renderer to increase performance; threading is making the thing way too complex.

Perhaps, using opengl for the triangle and fastfill commands may be easier, fast and portable enough, without the need of threading it too.
the actual renderer it's still needed for many aspects of an accurate and working emulation and would be left in place; the user may also switch back to software renderer on-demand.

I'm not such an expert in opengl and graphics libraries in general; from what I've read around, off-screen rendering may fit our needs.
By rendering to the voodoo back-buffer, we should be able to integrate it with the rest of the emulation; moreover, the full screen switching and the video capture should not break.

Please let me know your comments about this; if anyone has suggestions that might help, please post it here.

Reply 138 of 386, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

By the rule of thumb, anything not done with polygons (eg. rendered by the cpu to some framebuffer) in any 3d engine is slow. First you loose all the advantages of 3d rendering (the cpu does all work) plus you're adding all the overhead (which is not to be underestimated...directly writing bitmaps is horribly slow compared to polygon processing). Glide was a nice exception since it allowed framebuffer locking, Direct3D and Opengl do not. You can see how OpenGL is one of the slowest outputs in Dosbox unless special extensions can be used to speed up the whole thing 😀
You know the code and codepaths best...perhaps you could estimate how much polygon processing would really be offloaded to the GPU and how much it would still had to be done by the cpu...

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 139 of 386, by kekko

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From what I've seen, most of the time consumed by the emulation is spent by the scanline rasterizer.
The direct lfb access should not be a big issue; of the few games that actually use it, many seem to just write to lfb after 3d is completed, for hud info and such things.
Differently from using d3d or opengl for frame buffer accessing, the emulation just directly reads/writes a memory area, no locking or strange things happen, so not much overhead actually.
The scanline rasterizer is slow, not just because is software, but also because is not been written performance-wise, it's more oriented to accuracy and code readability (it's part of an hardware documentation project).
It could be greatly optimized; one of the first things you can notice is that many checks it does during pixel pipeline processing may be moved out of the scanline loop, but that would mean having tens of different scanline renderers, from basic solid color to shaded filtered textured dithered alpha-blended fogged z-clipped renderer, and all possible combinations. Many things could be rewritten, or assembly optimized.
The idea is to use opengl just for triangles, make it render off-screen to our frame buffer instead of screen as usual and leave lfb handling as-is.