VOGONS

3dfx voodoo chip emulation

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 140 of 386, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wasn't talking specifically about (voodoo) lfb access, but more generally about what you said that only some functions could be offloaded to the GPU. The rest would need to be rendered by the CPU and sent to OpenGL as finished bitmaps so that the final frame could be composited...

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 141 of 386, by kekko

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yes, you've been clear 😀 I think that just triangle (and maybe fastfill) commands may be offloaded to the gpu.
about direct access, I was hoping of avoiding the writing to a bitmap for 2d. The render-to-buffer technique would in theory allow us to still write triangles to the voodoo back-buffer, as the software renderer, leaving lfb writes as-is, but I was asking for some comments on this because I'm not fully aware of how it works.

Reply 142 of 386, by Yushatak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a question. Forgive me if it's redundant with something mentioned in the numerous pages here..

I assume that the goal here is to create a higher compatibility partially accelerated layer for Glide - i.e., you're implementing more than most Glide wrappers do as far as hardware emulation goes, and also accelerating what you can using CPU/GPU of the host - correct?

This is, of course, as opposed to a pure software emulation in which none of the processing is outsourced beyond DOSBox to the host, which would be a bit less efficient.

As I said, I assume you're doing the former, but just wanted to ask.

Reply 143 of 386, by OSH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmm, Kekko, and I have one question. Can you increase the memory limit in your DOSBOX SVN up to 128 MB?

I've launched Ultima IX. Game works, but very slow. Maybe I have too slow processor (I have Athlon64 2GHz)...I want to know, how fast run this DOSBOX SVN on machines other testers?

Reply 144 of 386, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
OSH wrote:

Hmm, Kekko, and I have one question. Can you increase the memory limit in your DOSBOX SVN up to 128 MB?

I've launched Ultima IX. Game works, but very slow. Maybe I have too slow processor (I have Athlon64 2GHz)...I want to know, how fast run this DOSBOX SVN on machines other testers?

Good idea, I remember when I played Thief: The Dark Project and Deus Ex on a 64mb machine with a Voodoo 2 card and using Windows 98, and the swapfile had to work like mad, which slowed down things a lot.

Reply 149 of 386, by kekko

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just noticed 😀
Well, I'd like to release something really enjoyable, by finally making the triangle rendering faster and releasing a build, so that people could actually play their favorite games.
I was working on pushing that threading experiment forward, even if it's going very slow due to RealLife(tm); that would eventually work, but the cost would be a high code complexity, which means more bugs, and high cpu requirements.
That could be avoided since even many older machines come with a 3d accelerator which is way better than a voodoo1.
Unfortunately I got not much experience with opengl, so I should review some basic concepts first of actually work on dosbox.

To the ones interested, I was thinking of using OpenGL Frame Buffer Object, by rendering to a frame buffer, our voodoo back-buffer, instead of directly to screen.
This way I'd like to preserve compatibility with different output formats, full screen switching and video capturing.
I'm not sure this is the best way, maybe someone has a better idea.

Reply 150 of 386, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I thought you were thinking that way in our earlier discussion 😀 I guess there are two ways to offload rendering to the gpu:
1. drawing triangles on the gpu and pushing the rest as a bitmap to opengl, having opengl compositing the final image (what I was thinking about)
2. rendering triangles on the gpu, retrieving them and rendering the final image through dosbox renderers (what you are thinking about)

No.2 has the advantage of using Dosbox current outputs and basically everything that emulated 2d s3 video does. No.1 would be closer to my glide patch (rendering onto opengl window).

Now what I'm afraid, readbacks are slow, much slower than writes which are already slow. There's a way to have readbacks done asynchronously and that would be a must to get decent framerate. So there'd have to be a way to have render to FBO, initiate a readback, do something (perhaps render a new frame in the meantime to a second FBO) and hopefully by then the readback will be finished. I'm afraid having a simple render->readback will be too slow to be useable....I'm pretty fluent in OpenGL (done a whole 3D engine, with FBOs, shaders and all) 😁

edit: my ATi mobile pushes about 20Mpix/s when reading from a texture. That's only 66fps @640x480 or about 40 @800x600 if I did my math right. So doing 30fps @640x480 would take about 50% cpu...writes are at about 140Mpix/s.

Reply 151 of 386, by LinVx2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Kekko I don't know if that be help you but
I am under Linux with KDE 4.5 😅
with gallium 0.4 and the SOFTPIPE OpenGL on LLVM 2.8
My CPU is Q6600 at only 2335 Mhz (yes ... motherboard limited 😒 ) and I run Tomb Raider 1 and it's fully playable
between 20 and 30 the cpu is rarely use more that 50% on 4 core.
I think the soft pipe of mesa is in lisence compatible with your need and may be you can use the code of this rasterizer.
I have also test with mesa dri and it lags realy (it's hardly playable) and it's the same with gallium 0.4 without llvm.
Also maybe is more usefull to use llvm as the soft rasterizer I don't know ?
I will try to post screen shot :

tomb1_on_gallium_4_on_llvmpipe2.jpg

You seems like a skilled programmer and I hope you bring a full
3dfx software at the end. Thank you.(excuse if's bad English) 😦

Attachments

Last edited by LinVx2 on 2010-10-22, 19:01. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 152 of 386, by whatever

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
robertmo wrote:

i used gulikoza's patch and removed all inline words from voodoo files and it works (it has a memory leak btw)

I did this, removed the included SDL-Headers and was able to compile it on my 64bit Ubuntu 10.04. Except for speed and the memory leak it works fine in most games. Finally I know how Fatal Racing looks on 3dfx 😀

Problems i stumbled upon:

• Aspect-Ratio correction is broken, enabling it makes the image too narrow
  • Descent2: Menu works with graphical glitches but starting a game is impossible (crashes with a out of memory message).
  • Bleifuss2 (aka Screamer2): Flickering artifacts on the Road at polygon borders. Don't know if this problem exists on real voodoo hardware but software-mode is fine.
  • No Hardware-Scaling of the image with overlay or opengl; I guess this is a general DosBox-Problem when using more than 256 colors.

Reply 153 of 386, by kekko

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gulikoza wrote:
Yeah, I thought you were thinking that way in our earlier discussion :happy: I guess there are two ways to offload rendering to […]
Show full quote

Yeah, I thought you were thinking that way in our earlier discussion 😀 I guess there are two ways to offload rendering to the gpu:
1. drawing triangles on the gpu and pushing the rest as a bitmap to opengl, having opengl compositing the final image (what I was thinking about)
2. rendering triangles on the gpu, retrieving them and rendering the final image through dosbox renderers (what you are thinking about)

No.2 has the advantage of using Dosbox current outputs and basically everything that emulated 2d s3 video does. No.1 would be closer to my glide patch (rendering onto opengl window).

Now what I'm afraid, readbacks are slow, much slower than writes which are already slow. There's a way to have readbacks done asynchronously and that would be a must to get decent framerate. So there'd have to be a way to have render to FBO, initiate a readback, do something (perhaps render a new frame in the meantime to a second FBO) and hopefully by then the readback will be finished. I'm afraid having a simple render->readback will be too slow to be useable....I'm pretty fluent in OpenGL (done a whole 3D engine, with FBOs, shaders and all) 😁

edit: my ATi mobile pushes about 20Mpix/s when reading from a texture. That's only 66fps @640x480 or about 40 @800x600 if I did my math right. So doing 30fps @640x480 would take about 50% cpu...writes are at about 140Mpix/s.

I guess reads should not be an issue with "solution 2", since we keep reading from voodoo buffer as current implementation does, right?
Reading from video card buffer may be slow, but system memory should be better.
Maybe I'm missing something, again... 😀

Reply 158 of 386, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, there's really no efficient way of getting data out of OpenGL once you go that way. The system, the hardware...just wasn't designed that way. It was designed to push as much pixels as fast as possible in one direction, anything else stalls the pipeline and is rather slow (like pumping water out of the drain 😀). So I think that the best solution is then to push it forward, not pump it back 😁.
But then again, I do not want to influence you too much...I've already made a system I think is good, having somebody else tackle the problem from a completely different perspective would surely be the best 😀