VOGONS

First post, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know - I really do know - that DOSBox is designed for games, not for application software. I'm reporting an application that causes DOSBox to crash, because the information may help the developers to avoid memory-related problems with other software, and I hope the developers might find it useful for testing.

The WordPerfect Shell 4.0 (a task switching application that lets you swap out one program and switch to another) locks up under DOSBox. The program is available for download here:

http://dataperfect.nl/CMS/index.php?option=co … emid=4&catid=16

WordPerfect Shell 4 is the one that crashes. WordPerfect Shell 3 works perfectly.

Again, I really understand that DOSBox is for games. I am posting this only because I hope the developers might it useful.

Reply 1 of 4, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

a task switching application that lets you swap out one program and switch to another

That's not (and will not be) supported in any way, those programs have to
save back/restore lots of internal dos tables that are not present in dosbox,
so it simply doesn't work. If it *seems* to work (old versions) don't give too
much about that because arbitrary bugs may occur later on.

Reply 2 of 4, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you for that explanation! It probably also explains why WordPerfect for DOS 6.x locks up DOSbox when it's "launcher" program is started in high memory, but not in low memory; the launcher is used for swapping out the main WP program when various utilities get run instead.

Thanks again for sorting this out. Of course I wish DOSBox would someday support this kind of thing (because DOSEMU won't ever be ported to Windows or OS X), but I understand why it won't.

Reply 4 of 4, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You're right about it working with MS-DOS, but of course the great thing about DOSBox in its default mode that it can read files from the hard disk, which it can't do when running MS-DOS. I haven't tried FreeDOS with this. I know FreeDOS has trouble with WordPerfect 6.2 launcher, but the Shell program seems to work under FreeDOS in DOSEMU.

Thank you again for the information!