VOGONS

First post, by frip

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thought this might be useful for you dev gurus as it supports 32bit real mode & vesa v3.0. Download:
http://www.scitechsoft.com/products/dev/x86_emulator.html

Reply 2 of 5, by m4c0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This emu looks really imponent, but it has no docs (or it has some kind of well-hidden docs), no bin version and is really hard to compile. I doubt it even runs or compiles on GNU/Linux. I really prefer to use dosbox or bochs if I need x86 emulation. They got plenty of info and are very easy to compile, install and use. 😁

Reply 4 of 5, by m4c0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I really think Bochs is easy to compile, install and use, specially on my linux box. The problem is that bochs is an x86 emulator used by hardcore system developers, not gamers. 🤑

Using bochs to play DOS games is like using a HP12c calculator to sum the cost of your xmas presents... A paper tape calculator can do it better... It has the tape to help backtracking and usually has '00' and '000' buttons to help with big numbers. OMG, using 'enter' to make '2+2+6+[a lot of numbers]+4+1+1' is really hard, but I like it to make '2+3*(2+1)+6' 😀

PS: If you take a little look on SciTech x86 emulator, you will change your mind about bochs 😁

Reply 5 of 5, by DoomWarrior

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yeah i do not understand why so many people have problems with compiling bochs 😦
if you read the howto there shouldn't be any problem 😁