VOGONS

First post, by Alrik Fassbauer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, everyone,

last night I encountered a strange bug with the command "rename", or rather its short form : REN

Within the RENamed directory, ALL files were "shortened" to the length of 0 bytes

I don't quite remember anymore what I actually did.

All I can remeber is the following :

- I had DOSBOX open
- I had the "windiows explorer" open - looking at the directory that is C:\DOS on my win xp professional OS (SP3), but which is mounted through DOSBOX as C:\ [or C: be exact].

- I had in directory called INDY3 (in it were the installation files of the old disk version of Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade - I bought it somewhere in the mid-90s)
- I tried to rename it by REN INDY3 I3
- the directory was renamed yet inside of it ALL files (only 2 of them) were suddenly there with the length of 0 bytes.

Today, I tried to reproduce this bug. In vain. I couldn't.

I still don't know how this had happened. All I can say is that I suspect that the explorer window I had opened at the same time could have something to do with it.

During reproducing, I noticed that DOSBOX - the newest version 0.74, by the way - doesn't seem to react in time when I create or rename directories with the help of the explorer.

Directories created with the explorer do exist from within DOSBOX, but they are 1. not listed, 2. can be accessed throgh the CD command, but 3. appear to be empty.

I don't remember what I did that this bug was caused, but I fear that I did something that had something to do with this bahavour.

I still have no clue, though.

On the positive side, I'm currently reworking the file "german.lng" to make it more accessible, get it rid of bugs, and let it look more fancy.

The file as it is downloadable from the "downloads" section isn't very good, and I corrected a few "bugs" within it already.

If I go on, I'll let every important word shine in colours, because that's what I always did when I was writing my ver own batch files menu in the 90s. 😉

As I see that attachments are allowed here, I'll attach the file as it is right now (no meddling with colours yet 😉 ) to the next post (because I'm writing with my older PC right now, but the DOSBOX configuration I play with is located on my "gaming PC"). It's my way of saying "thank you" to the team. 😉

Alrik

Reply 1 of 7, by Alrik Fassbauer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OKay, here is the file : You might notice that I worked a tiny bit with the ESC sequences, not much yet, but it does look a tiny bit better now.

Since the .lng file format isn't allowed here, I simply renamed it (via the windows explorer) into german.txt .

Attachments

• Filename
    german.txt
    File size
    26.28 KiB
    Downloads
    254 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 7, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Alrik Fassbauer wrote:

Directories created with the explorer do exist from within DOSBOX, but they are 1. not listed, 2. can be accessed throgh the CD command, but 3. appear to be empty.
Alrik

Ctrl-F4

Reply 5 of 7, by Alrik Fassbauer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, that's much better for me.

Regarding the bug : The only thing I can give you is the files with 0 bytes length themselves - but I think they wouldn't be of any use, I assume ... 😉