VOGONS

First post, by madcrow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For a while, the DOSbox team has decided that SHARE.EXE functionality isn't useful for games AND also decided that fixing whatever whatever bug appeared after DOSbox 0.72 that began preventing Windows from loading the protected mode version (VSHARE.386) that had previously functioned as a workaround for the lack of SHARE support.

Well, I just a game that appears to need SHARE: http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=26079

Given that it's a pretty cool looking game, maybe it might be time to go bug hunting 😉

Reply 2 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I bet the fakeshare in the windows 3.1x guide takes care of this.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 6, by madcrow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wd wrote:

maybe it might be time to go bug hunting

Nope.

Any particular reason why not? I don't know much about the internal architecture of DOSbox, but I would assume that fixing regressions (which the breaking of VSHARE was, given that it worked until some point after the release of 0.72 and before the release of 0.73) is a normal part of a software project. Was VSHARE deliberately broken during the 0.73 dev cycle or were changes simply made to the memory emulation that would make it really hard to fix? Either way, I figured folks might be interested in a game that uses unemulated features generally considered to be "non-game".

Reply 4 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

If you search vogons you will learn that it never worked. It just "appeared" to be working and this was rightfully fixed, be it intentionally or not. The problem with it only appearing to work is that data corruption is very very likely when programs actually do make use of the share functions. So fixing this does take care of users feeling secure while their data actually wasn't.
So for the adventurous that doesn't do any productive work with share needing programs, fakeshare is the answer.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 6, by madcrow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

If you search vogons you will learn that it never worked. It just "appeared" to be working and this was rightfully fixed, be it intentionally or not. The problem with it only appearing to work is that data corruption is very very likely when programs actually do make use of the share functions. So fixing this does take care of users feeling secure while their data actually wasn't.
So for the adventurous that doesn't do any productive work with share needing programs, fakeshare is the answer.

Hmm. I'd love to know how SHARE works and how it conflicts with DOSBOX memory management... It would make an interesting study.