VOGONS

Unsupported video mode in demo

Topic actions

First post, by raer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi All.

I have this Ms-Dos demo here that exits with an unsupported video mode after some time (~2min). I tried "svga_s3" and "vesa_nolfb". Is the mode missing in DOSBox or is the demo doing something weird?

Best Regards,

Kim

EDIT: The DOSBox debugger tells me:
526975038: INT10:writechar used without attribute in non-textmode V 56
526975175: PIC:0 mask F8
526975177: PIC:1 mask EC
when it crashes...

Attachments

• Filename
    toontown.zip
    File size
    834.13 KiB
    Downloads
    125 downloads
    File comment
    The demo
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 41, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The default "faked" hi-color on mode 13h has no trouble, it's only when you run the demo with a -24 parameter for TrueColor that you get the error message.

It can't find a VESA mode that is 320x200 with 24-bit color. The TrueColor VESA modes in DOSBox report 32 bits per pixel through INT 10h/4F01h, and the demo wants 24 bits per pixel. Perhaps the devs can explain what's going on with 24 vs. 32 bits, because the RBIL says that standard VESA modes are at most "16M" colors which implies 24 bits, and mode 10Fh seems like it should be a fit for what the demo wants. Loading SDD/UNIVBE doesn't help, still says 32 bits. If you try to cheat and make mode 10Fh report 24 bits per color then the display is messed up.

The part of the demo with the wobbly "Kolor" text is somewhat glitched. Tried loadfix, increased memsize, and machine=vgaonly, but the glitches still appear. Not sure what could cause it... maybe segment limits?

Reply 2 of 41, by coolhaken

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a small program which can solve this problem ...
Don't ask me why ...
This program is to solve another game's problem and I am not the author.

Attachments

• Filename
    fix.7z
    File size
    171 Bytes
    Downloads
    138 downloads
    File license

Reply 3 of 41, by raer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The part seems to run too fast. If you set the cycles lower you'll see the logo stretching more or less correctly. Maybe the overlay is not synched to vsync?...

For me it crashes both with and w/o the "-24" parameter.

Reply 5 of 41, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Hmm, maybe some timing issue, because the demo runs to completion on my system with default settings in DOSBox 0.74 and SVN (as long as the -24 switch is not used).

This program is to solve another game's problem and I am not the author.

It looks similar to a workaround I made for Sokoban Revenge, and if it's for that game then it's much more aggressive than it needs to be. It blocks INT 15h entirely, and if that is helping with a problem in the demo that some people are experiencing then perhaps try a vanilla SVN build because some fixes were made to INT 15h/86h.

Reply 7 of 41, by s3freak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently posted my Custom S3 Trio patch a few days ago where I patched it to include 24 bit colour - I did it experimentally. Having tested this demo with the -24 parameter, the demo looped successfully and when I disabled 24-bit colour, it crashed out like raer said. I never knew that my patch would come in handy one day!

My 486 is my real DOSBox, as well as my customised DOSBox!
I am not very active on VOGONS, please send a private message if you need a quicker response!

Reply 8 of 41, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I guess the crashy part is where there's a pic of Minnie Mouse with the caption "Kolor super demo"? I can't induce a crash there when I don't use the -24 switch, and I've tried all output= options and fixed / limited cycles... it just works every time. I don't view it as a blessing when I can't reproduce problems, though. :/

Reply 10 of 41, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

raer
coolhaken
can you both enclose your dosbox.conf?

Can you also verify this:
When you start the game it displays some text lines about the testings it did. Depending on whether you use -24 switch or not there is a different message there: it either says it runs in true color or that you can switch to true color with -24 switch. What message have you got if you run the game without -24 switch?

Also does it work for you with machine=vgaonly ?

btw - you can lower cycles and use alt-f12 to get to the crush point quicker.

Reply 11 of 41, by raer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The mode must be 640x400. That's what DOSBox captures when you create a video of that Minnie Mouse part.
@s3freak: Nice! How does the part look with your patch? Is it still some fake RGB-scanlines or is it just regular 320x200?

EDIT: Attached my dosbox.conf

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox.conf
    File size
    10.77 KiB
    Downloads
    90 downloads
    File license

...find some video captures of old DOS demos here...

Reply 13 of 41, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Mode 13h is normally 320x200, double width, double height, 70 fps. The "Kolor super demo" uses register-tweaked mode 13h at 320x400, double width, normal height, 70 fps.

The issue might be a misreading of the display timing due to the screen resize delay. If anyone who has the issue would like to test the theory, try running the demo with the experimental build of 0.74 here.

Reply 14 of 41, by raer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
robertmo wrote:

raer
Can you also verify this:
When you start the game it displays some text lines about the testings it did. Depending on whether you use -24 switch or not there is a different message there: it either says it runs in true color or that you can switch to true color with -24 switch. What message have you got if you run the game without -24 switch?

The demo runs WITHOUT the -24 switch. It crashes for me otherwise in the Minnie Mouse part. Haven't tried vgaonly, as I wanted to capture it in the best possible format.

ripsaw8080 wrote:

Mode 13h is normally 320x200, double width, double height, 70 fps. The "Kolor super demo" uses register-tweaked mode 13h at 320x400, double width, normal height, 70 fps.

The issue might be a misreading of the display timing due to the screen resize delay. If anyone who has the issue would like to test the theory, try running the demo with the experimental build of 0.74 here.

I'm just saying that DOSBox gives me 640x400 frames when I capture that part (without the -24 switch).

I tried the experimental build, but saw no difference. It still crashes.

Reply 16 of 41, by raer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

With vgaonly it runs all the way through, regardless of the "-24" switch (makes sense) and the Minnie Mouse part uses the fake highcolor mode.

Reply 18 of 41, by raer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Makes sense only with svga_s3 I guess:
with the -24 switch it says "Using VESA 2.0 Truecolor mode"
w/o it say "You can use the -24 switch" bla...