VOGONS

share.exe

Topic actions

First post, by nechus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello. First (and most important) of all, THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR DOSBOX!! It's amazing! I promise I will make a donation as soon as I have a credit card. 😊

I have a question: Are there any plans to fix the problem with share.exe so that some programs like Word 6.0 can run under Windows 3.1? 😁

Reply 1 of 20, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

See my windows 3.x guide...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 20, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Because seriously no GAME (and dosbox is about games) needs it and why would you need Word 6.0 apart from experiencing how l33t you are...

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 20, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Well, as I wrote, there are two ways to make programs work anyway. If you go the fakeshare way, really don't do any serious stuff. Dataloss etc...

Reply 5 of 20, by nechus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Besides, your rationale is "DosBox is about games. No game needs share.exe, so this issue doesn't need fixing."

But, do you really think that all those people that have been asking about share.exe for almost a decade want to use Word 6.0 to be more productive at their jobs? No, man!! We want to have fun and bring some good old times back to life!! I was never good at videogames or computer games, but I'm having the time of my life running Windows 3.1 on DosBox.

Please, please, please..... don't be cruel!!! 😢

Reply 6 of 20, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

It's not my rationale, it's what the Dosbox developers say. I'm not one of them. And to go out of their way and fix share, even when no game uses it, is not likely. Especially not when the only reason is to relive good memories for a moment and be done with it (been there, done that).

Reply 7 of 20, by nechus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Uh, OK. Sorry. I thought you were one of the developers. 😊

Could you please introduce me to one of them in order to make his life miserable until he fixes this????

Reply 8 of 20, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Just don't. Reread all the threads about share.exe and get a clue. You will only end up with closed threads and if you are persistent with a banned user account. All the reasons why share is not working are listed in those threads and so far you haven't come up with any reaosn why you need share, besides the good old times feeling.

Reply 9 of 20, by nechus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I could tell them that my gf will come back with me if I use Word 6.0!!
Ha, ha. Just kidding.
I don't even have a gf 😢
I'll read those threads. Thanks for your patience!! 😊

Reply 10 of 20, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

But, do you really think that all those people that have been asking about share.exe for almost a decade want to use Word 6.0 to be more productive at their jobs? No, man!! We want to have fun and bring some good old times back to life!! I was never good at videogames or computer games, but I'm having the time of my life running Windows 3.1 on DosBox.

<- we know about the no gf part 😀

Reply 12 of 20, by s3freak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
nechus wrote:

Ha ha, l33t. You're right. But Word 6 was my very first word processor, and using it was very exciting!! I miss its simplicity, too! 😁

Likewise, Microsoft Works 3.0 is my first "Office" package in 1994.

For a prebuilt version of DOSBox that supports share.exe, Google search for Daum DOSBox. Once installed, you don't actually have to load it in config.sys or autoexec.bat. (My customised DOSBox also includes the share.exe patch from the site.)

My 486 is my real DOSBox, as well as my customised DOSBox!
I am not very active on VOGONS, please send a private message if you need a quicker response!

Reply 14 of 20, by nechus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

s3freak, I downloaded the Linux version of DosBox daum from Tewoong's page, but I can't find the way to run it. 🙁

I opened the folder in a terminal and typed dosbox, ./dosbox, sudo dosbox, sudo ./dosbox, etc, but nothing happens.

What should I do? How does it work?

Thanks

Reply 15 of 20, by nechus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Solved the fullscreen problem! I downloaded the correct version for my architecture (64 bit) and I can see DosBox fullscreen. So simple! 😀

Reply 16 of 20, by s3freak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I thought you meant the Windows version of his DOSBox. To get it to run under Linux, you have to patch it and then compile it. I will reply to you with more detailed instructions later when I get back.

My 486 is my real DOSBox, as well as my customised DOSBox!
I am not very active on VOGONS, please send a private message if you need a quicker response!

Reply 18 of 20, by mstvsky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!
Use DB MegaBuild 3 for winword over windows 3.11!
I want to share here my experiment results on WinWord compatibility.
I had a goal to run WinWord 2.0 and WinWord 6.0 simultaneously.

1. DOSBox v0.74 is OK with WinWord 2.0, but doesn't allow WinWord 6.0. The last one requires "share.exe", but it is incompatible with DOSBox v0.74 and is not supported.

2. DOSBox v0.72 is OK with WinWord 6.0, but WinWord 2.0 stucks while starting macros.

3. DB MegaBuild 3 is OK with both WinWord 2.0 and WinWord 6.0.

Reply 19 of 20, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You can just run fakeshare from the windows 3.x guide then in 0.74.
Because share is not functioning in earlier Dosbox (and Megabuild) versions, it's just not erroring. So if you seriously work with it you run into the same possible data loss with earlier DB versions as if you just run fakeshare in the current one.