VOGONS

First post, by Fizzban

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi.. 😀

I was able to run Orion Burger using the latest CVS version but only after changing the code so the mouse driver always sets BX=0x0000 (mouse enabled) in reply to AX=0x0026 (Get Maximum virtual coordinates) instead of 0x0000 if the mouse is visible and 0xffff if not.

Otherwise, the game would reject the driver as "obsolete".

According to the specifications, the driver should return an non-zero value iff the mouse is disabled. This does not refer to the visibility but to the functions AX=0x001f (disable mouse driver) and AX=0x0020h (enable mouse driver)

Reply 3 of 41, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks Fizzban, it looks very promising. It is possible that with this fix also Riddle of Master Lu will be playable with DOSBox Riddle of Master Lu (again) under latest CVS . Fizzban, don´t you have Riddle so you could test it?

Reply 4 of 41, by unknownuser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there. I've got a problem running Orion Burger and Riddle of Master Lu. I "patched" the mouse.cpp like you said but with my cvs (currently from 20th Dec) the graphics didnt work (I sea only the first part of the Screen - I think the first 65536Pixels 😀. @Fizzban: How do you mangaged Orion Burger to run?
-----
Finally I got it running (starting orion / masterlu / install / setup / whatever with option -slo), but -slo(w) is slow and almost impossible. Any idears for frameskip and cycles?
-----
My System:
AMD AthlonXP-2800 (~2100Mhz or something like that)
ASUS A7N8X
2x512MB Infineon (PC400, CL2, DualChannel)
Geforce4MX440 (i know, i know :'()
270GB-HDD

Reply 5 of 41, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So it is confirmed that this fix can also help with the Riddle of Master Lu.
And now another problem with the slowness, hrmm, really nasty games they are. You tried both CTRL+F12 and CTRL+F8 I presume. Both of the games are similarly slow? They have similar requirements: 486 DX-33 and 8MB RAM. I compared them in Virtual PC - Orion is running fast there albeit I cannot get any sound. Master Lu has sound, but the game is very slow in the first screen (with a cobra). Then, when the cobra is killed and music sequence is over, the game is running much quicker.

Reply 6 of 41, by unknownuser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I tried both: frameskip and cpu-cycles. In my opinion the option -slo causes the slowness, however i'm not sure. But without it i got the above described grafic-issues. I think that the used VESA-Mode isnt correct implemented (if it is implemented at all). The sound plays mostly smoothly. I set cpu cycles up to 8400 and frameskip from 2 till 4. But it runs - and i love this game 😀 "Great job!" @ DosBox-Team 😀

Reply 8 of 41, by unknownuser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Finally I got it running smoothly: CPU-Cycles set to 10000 / Frameskip set to 0

Then copy the game CD to your HD and mount this dir with e.g. "mount e d:\gamez\orion-cd -t cdrom" After that you can run orion with option -slo smoothly. I think riddle will work with this config to - i will try this evening..

Reply 9 of 41, by unknownuser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Damn, i played Orion Burger little time, but when i'm moving and went into a new location it "hangs". Also the direction isnt correct (in Orion Burger i click to went down the street and the guy wents up. (I wanna speak to somebody and he wents off the screen) - same is in riddle. Any Idears??
Nachtrag: if the rooms are without any NPCs the game runs fine, but with them it hangs... Strange 🙁

Reply 10 of 41, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I´m not a programmer so I can´t help much. But if somebody with programming skills would like to help with that problem and does not have these games for testing purposes, Orion can be found at Home of the Underdogs (Riddle not, but seems that solving problems with one game could help also with the other). Demoversion of Orion Burger also exists (I have it), but I cannot find it on the net.

Reply 11 of 41, by elektroschock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Under Linux sometimes the mouse cursor gets lost in the apllication. I would like to switch between the mouse in the dosbox window and my desktop environment. Usually it is no problem to restore the icon when dosbox is terminated manually, but sometimes I feel strange with a cursor lost, esp. when the program is frozen and i cannot terminate dosbox via mouse.

Reply 14 of 41, by parapente

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

An easy way to restore your mouse without restarting the X server in linux is to open a terminal or cycle to an already running one, launch again dosbox (after killing the one that froze) and run a program/game that uses the mouse. The mouse will then come back to its normal state. 😀

Reply 15 of 41, by Fizzban

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had the same problem with the graphics, just run UniVBE 5.3a from SciTech before Orion Burger and it will work. It seems that Orion Burger is doing something quick&dirty not supported by the built-in VESA support. This may also help with Master Lu but I don't have that game so I cannot test it.

Reply 16 of 41, by Tharos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i had a look at the ints/mouse.cpp file
there is an interupt handler:

case 0x24: /* Get Software version and mouse type */
reg_bx=0x805; //Version 8.05 woohoo
reg_ch=0x04; /* PS/2 type */
reg_cl=MOUSE_IRQ; /* Hmm ps2 irq dunno */

and MOUSE_IRQ is defined as 12

you should set reg_cl to 0, because acording to the Mouse Reference 0 stands for PS/2 Model and 5-7 are Mouse-Interupts (12 isn't even defined *g)

Reply 17 of 41, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

🤣 I just changed that into 12 😀
(don't have the reference you know 😀

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 18 of 41, by Tharos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i don't have the complete reference - but i found an OLD book about this interupt stuff

and there it says that IRQ 0 stands for Model PS/2 (at least in this int33/24 case)
no garantee that its right in every case

Reply 19 of 41, by bigmax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Also if you ever actually read your SourceForge site, somebody has posted a mouse update about a month ago already in the Patches section.

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func … 551&atid=467234