VOGONS

Reply 21 of 41, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

added it.
added some support disabling and enabling the mouse and reporting that instead of mouse.shown.

Please try it sometime. I don't have the games in question and I'm eager for the results.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 22 of 41, by Fizzban

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Orion Burger works great with the new CVS version if

• UniVBE 5.3A is used (otherwise, only the first 65536 pixels are shown)
  • The DOS4GW.EXE is upgraded from version 1.95 to 1.97. This will speed up things significantly.

Great work.. 😁

Reply 23 of 41, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmm, need to identify the need for Univesa and include in DosBox VESA. Preferabbly the least 3rd party utilities required the better.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 24 of 41, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I´ve tried Riddle of Master Lu and Orion Burger. Both games need UniVBE 5.3A (you are right about 3rd party utilities, DosFreak) and I had exactly the same experience with confused movement as "unknownuser" in this thread.
For example: The Riddle of Master Lu starts fine and on the screen is Robert Ripley, Chinese woman Mei Chen and bounded Ripley´s business partner, Feng Li, with a big cobra in front of him. Mei Chen is screaming: "Robert, do something!" Robert is supposed to kill the snake at the left side of screen but instead he goes to the right where is the wall and disappears as a ghost. Then he suddenly appears on the screen and it is possible to kill the snake. At this moment Mei Chen should go to the left and untie the rope on poor Feng Li but she goes in the opposite direction and disappears too! Now the game freezes with pathetic looking bounded Feng Li and helpless Robert on the screen.
Orion Burger has similar problems. Fizzban, did you try the game also after return on the Earth or just those very long introductory sequences in space? In space everything works fine for me.

Reply 25 of 41, by Fizzban

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, I didn't test that. I was a little pressed for time on New Year's Eve and only checked the beginning of the space ship scene. Sorry..

But I can confirm the problems Jiri described. Also, if you try to enter the house of your grandma, your character will walk backwards through the door and you are unable to continue ("please wait"-hourglass forever).

Edit: I contacted Nick Porcino, one of the main developers of the game engine that Orion Burger and Master Lu uses. His first guess is:

The problem you describe sounds like a memory corruption. These games are tricky to run with an emulator because they require 62 […]
Show full quote

The
problem you describe sounds like a memory corruption. These games are
tricky to run with an emulator because they require 620k of main memory,
and not all emulators can free that much.

I had better luck with the macintosh versions, they emulate better because
of the cleaner memory architecture of the mac of those days.

Are there any known issues with the emulation of conventional memory?

Reply 28 of 41, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I'm sorry I don't know what is wrong.
I don't have the games So I don't know how they acces the mouse driver.

They probably setup an Event handler via the mouse driver.

Reply 29 of 41, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

These games are not tricky to run just with an emulator, they are tricky to run on everything. The lucky ones can run them with some fiddling in DOS/older Windows (they are not so "prehistorical", my The Riddle of Master Lu has "designed for Microsoft Windows 95" logo on the box, Orion is even newer), but no chance to get them running in XP because of that mentioned "vesa not supported" problem. I even tried them with the old PCI S3 Trio 32/64 card without any success. It is good that the developer replied to e-mail, maybe he would be willing to help more. Qbix, if you are interested in this and don´t mind to download Orion from HOTU, you can find it there.

Reply 30 of 41, by Fizzban

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:

I don't have the games So I don't know how they acces the mouse driver.

I don't think this is a mouse driver problem. The game only acts up when you click below the character but you can access the buttons - which are at the bottom of the screen - without any problems. So the game exactly knows where the player is clicking.

Probably the path finding algorithm used in executing "Go To (X,Y)" commands is screwed up.

Jiri wrote:

It is good that the developer replied to e-mail, maybe he would be willing to help more.

I agree. His reply was prompt and friendly. But I don't think that he will be able to help us unless we can find out in more detail what part of the game is causing the trouble.

Reply 31 of 41, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Fizzban wrote:

I don't think this is a mouse driver problem.

Hmmm, the mouse worked perfectly in the menu of the Riddle of Master Lu. Then, when the game started, those strange things happened WITHOUT any mouse clicking. So Robert went to the right and disappeared and I did not even click the mouse. Then player must click at the icon "take an object" in the menu and at the picture of the sword in order to kill the snake and it worked fine. Next is the automatic sequence (with a small clock icon on the screen): Mei Chen should go and untie Feng Li, but no need here for a player action, just sit and watch is sufficient. And it went wrong again.

Reply 32 of 41, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Could anyone test the MODIFIED UNIVESA (For 5.1 and 5.3a versions) made by Rob Muller. (I'm at work). It's just UNIVESA's created driver but modified to use bios built-in VESA on your card. Here.

Attachments

• Filename
    UNIVESA_MOD.ZIP
    File size
    1.77 KiB
    Downloads
    227 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 33 of 41, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I'd like to point out that there is still (at least one) very little cpu bug left.

It causes ben from full throtle to walk backwards.

Reply 34 of 41, by Fizzban

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

Could anyone test the MODIFIED UNIVESA (For 5.1 and 5.3a versions) made by Rob Muller. (I'm at work). It's just UNIVESA's created driver but modified to use bios built-in VESA on your card. Here.

Doesn't work here. Output in the DOSBOX Debug window:

Illegal write to f0a14ba
Illegal write to f0a14bb

Qbix wrote:

I'd like to point out that there is still (at least one) very little cpu bug left.

It causes ben from full throtle to walk backwards.

Mmh, that sounds similar.. So we probably should wait until this bug is fixed before trying anything else.

Reply 36 of 41, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I´ve found another adventure game which behaves almost in the same way as Riddle of Master Lu and Orion Burger, yet the developer is different. While Riddle and Orion were created by Sanctuary Woods (and most probably have similar engine), this game, Chronomaster, is from DreamForge and I doubt that similar engine is used in this case. Chronomaster also needs UniVBE 5.3a from SciTech in order to be displayed correctly (otherwise graphics is garbled and at top of the DOSBox window) and everything works fine in the menus and during the initial space sequences. But then the story continues on some planet and it is impossible to control the main character properly there. Just guessing, but maybe this all has nothing to do with the mouse driver or CPU bug, but only with some vesa problem.

Last edited by Jiri on 2004-01-10, 02:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 37 of 41, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Chronomaster - Space: no character here, just a computer to control, and everything works smoothly.

Attachments

• chrono1.jpg
    Filename
    chrono1.jpg
    File size
    17.41 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 38 of 41, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Chronomaster - A planet: here is the character on the screen and problems start. He refuses to walk where I want.

Attachments

• chrono2.jpg
    Filename
    chrono2.jpg
    File size
    19 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 39 of 41, by Fizzban

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jiri wrote:

Just guessing, but maybe this all has nothing to do with the mouse driver or CPU bug, but only with some vesa problem.

I have solved that vesa mystery (VESA: Display Window Control) but unfortunally, this didn't solved the problem..

Question: Is there a way to set a breakpoint that activates when the games registers a mouse click? So I could analyse the code that process the "walk" command.