VOGONS

First post, by HeMason

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm programming a dos ap in dosbox 0.74. I try to access some files, but it seams very slow ?
As I tracing into dosbox.cpp, and try to figure out :
How dose Normal_Loop() work ?
How dose "ticksxxxxxx" variables mean ?
How dose "CPU_xxxxxx" variables work (in cpu.cpp) ?
They must be under a cursed !
Can anyone give me a hint? or uncurse it, please!

Last edited by HeMason on 2013-06-14, 02:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Before using pkzip run "cycles max"

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

It's not hidden, it's a config option andmany config options can be overriden like this

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 14, by HeMason

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I see.
But when I set [cpu/cycles = max], nothing happen? It still slow.

Another question:
I have a custom's dos ap writen by clipper. If I set [cpu/core = auto], it can't be run. But when I set to "simple", It works !
But others dos ap (writen by clipper also) can run
properly, whatever I set to "auto" or "simple".

Why?

Reply 6 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

[cpu/cycles = max]

depends on where you have written what EXACTLY. Hard to say from what you wrote.

As for core, some programs are picky and can'T run otherwise. for the picky ones, write a batch file called "run.bat" and put core simple in one line and the exe/com of the program in the next one. instead of running the exe you then run the run.bat.

Reply 13 of 14, by R153nm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The general rule of thumb around these parts is the developers of Dosbox built it specifically for games. Many application specific features (Share.exe, printing, parallel port access, etc.) are not implemented because no game needs them, thus applications are considered unsupported.

Reply 14 of 14, by HeMason

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
R153nm wrote:

The general rule of thumb around these parts is the developers of Dosbox built it specifically for games. Many application specific features (Share.exe, printing, parallel port access, etc.) are not implemented because no game needs them, thus applications are considered unsupported.

Thank's for your explanation.
I solved the printing problem in 2004. And there was no need to access com port. The product in Taiwan is called HyperDos. But it can't run in 64-bits OS. So I thansfer the cmd.exe(ntvdm) to dosbox . It seems work well.
There were almost 10k users in Taiwan. And HyperDos is the only one solution.
The URL is:
http://www.stone.com.tw/stone/product/showpro … jsp?did=13&m2=0