VOGONS

First post, by robbforce

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I haven't been able to find any information or patches to support CG shaders. It seems like it could produce DirectX or OpenGL shaders and then DosBox should be able to use the large number of shaders of the libretro repository. Specifically, here: https://github.com/libretro/common-shaders

Does a patch like that exist?

Reply 2 of 5, by Mr_Blastman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
robbforce wrote:

I guess it doesn't matter too much because I can use RetroArch to apply the CG filters to a DosBox instance. Seems like direct support would be faster though.

Have you managed to get this to work? I'm on Windows 7 64-bit and anytime I run Dosbox in retrorach, the minute I select a game it stops working. I can get a prompt but, unfortunately, it won't let me type in all the keys. It makes me sad. It looks sooooo good with halation etc.

Reply 4 of 5, by robbforce

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mr_Blastman wrote:

Have you managed to get this to work? I'm on Windows 7 64-bit and anytime I run Dosbox in retrorach, the minute I select a game it stops working. I can get a prompt but, unfortunately, it won't let me type in all the keys. It makes me sad. It looks sooooo good with halation etc.

In theory you could create a shortcut to load a dosbox config file:

C:\RetroArch\retroarch.exe -L "C:\RetroArch\libretro\dosbox_libretro.dll" "C:\RetroArch\configs\JA.conf"

Then in the autoexec section of the config file, you can load your game:

# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
# You can put your MOUNT lines here.

cls
MOUNT c "C:\RetroArch\"
c:
cd \_games\ja
IMGMOUNT d cd.iso -t cdrom

# Uncomment the next two lines if you want to change the sound configuration.
#del sound.cfg
#setsound.exe

# The next line sets the volume of the gravis ultrasound to a more tolerable level.
mixer gus d-7

ja.bat
exit

In that example I installed Jagged Alliance in a sub directory of the RetroArch folder. The config loads, but I'm having the problem with the keymapping, like you are. The readme for dosbox in the git repo has this to say:

* To be useful the frontend will need to have keyboard+mouse support, and all keyboard shortcuts need to be remapped. […]
Show full quote

* To be useful the frontend will need to have keyboard+mouse support, and all keyboard shortcuts need to be remapped.

Unsupported features:

* Physical CD-ROMs, CD images are supported.
* The key mapper, key remapping does not work.

So I'm not sure where to go from here.

Reply 5 of 5, by robbforce

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Other than the aforementioned RetroArch, there is the Direct3D patch with HLSL shader support at least, which is strongly similar to CG anyway.

HLSL and CG are very similar, but they aren't compatible. I don't know either language to port the CG shaders to HLSL. I tried a little by doing some comparisons to other conversions, but eventually ran into some new bits that I couldn't find conversions for.