VOGONS

First post, by Greenchili

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been tinkering around with dosxbox (version of dosbox for the xbox) and I ran into this weird little issue where if you "r"eload a save game and then attempt to 's'ave back to the same slot it gives a file error. Almost like it is leaving the file open so that "save" attempt fails. The 's'aves work on any slot that has not been loaded. Upon exiting and reloading the game, for example, a save to a slot will work as long as a load from the same slot is not done.

So I traced through the code and I discovered that Crystal Caves does an Open twice when 'r'eloading a save game. It closes the second file opened but leaves the first file open. Thus the cause of the issue. Looking through the dosbox code there is a section that "flushes" the buffer when an open is done on a file that has already been opened. So it is capable of detecting multiple opens on the same file.

Trying Crystal Caves on my Windows XP machine however produced a different result. The problem never happens.

So now comes the question... Bear with me my memory from DOS days is fuzzy.

I presume that DOS allowed multiple opens on the same file.. limited, of course, by the number set in config.sys with the FILES= command.
Apparently opening a file for read does not conflict with opening the same file under a different handle as read/write.

The fact that it works properly while running dosbox under WIndows XP makes me conclude that Windows XP feels the same way. Maybe in this case it is allowing it because the file is being accessed by the same app "dosbox". Whereas if I had the same file opened by another program it would fail?

So basically I'm just trying to figure out the best way to handle this particular situation in the dosxbox build. Apparently having a file open for read and then attempting to open another file handle as read/write is a big no no. But I'm unfamiliar with how dos programs/games typically behave in regards to opening multiple file so I dont wanna potentially screw some other game/program up.

Thoughts, comments?

Reply 1 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You first need to rule out any error introduced by the xbox port, so you need a diff or you need to manually go through the differences.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 7, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I think you should look at how the xbox port is handling a file create on a file that is already open. Shouldn't matter if the file was opened in read or read/write mode.

It's actually a bug in Crystal Caves that it opens the file twice and only closes the second handle. The handle table will (eventually) fill up and cause problems.

Reply 3 of 7, by Greenchili

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote:

I think you should look at how the xbox port is handling a file create on a file that is already open. Shouldn't matter if the file was opened in read or read/write mode.

It's actually a bug in Crystal Caves that it opens the file twice and only closes the second handle. The handle table will (eventually) fill up and cause problems.

Basically the xbox port is kicking back an error on the second open attempt (I'm running in debug) with a file already open error. I've seen it happen before in other cases where a file handle was not closed after openint.

Yeah I kinda figured it is a little "quirk" of Crystal Caves. I know for sure that on the xbox if a file is already open for read that it will not allow another file handle to be opened for write on it. Not sure about read. Maybe I should force the code to open for read on the second try to see what happens.

But yes in theory the handler table could fill up. 🤣 Luckyily the save slots are limited to 10 and the handler table can handle 256 entries.

I'm thinking of just modifying the code to either close the original handle, if it finds the file was already open (rather than a flush), in the portion of code that checks and forces a buffer flush. The other thing I thought of is possibly having the second file (when a match is found) use the same file handle as the match found.

Both not the ideal solution. Either the handler table is gonna fill up, or maybe a read attempted on an already closed file. I cant think of any reason why a game would open two different file handles on a file.. but we see this happening with Crystal Caves so who knows. I'm just trying to think if there is some other way to handle this little oddity which seems to affect the xbox platform.

I'm thinking of taking this game and setting it up on maybe the PS3 or WII version of dosbox to see if I see the same behavior. I'm kinda curious about it.

Reply 4 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

maybe it would be *easier* making a patch for the game than patching DOSBox because of this game

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 7, by Greenchili

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That though crossed my mind.. however it does not negate two things...

1) The game works fine on an original PC
2) The game works fine running under dosbox on a windows XP machine.

Thus it is running "incorrectly" in the xbox environment. Even if the game is doing a no no. 😁

That being said.. if it is the only game that does it is essentially much ado about nothing. 🤣

Reply 6 of 7, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I think the bug in the game exists because it doesn't announce its presence; at least not in a fully compatible environment. It is certainly possible that similar bugs exist in other games for the same reason. However, if resolving the issue is a thorny problem, you might want to wait for additional cases to crop up.

Reply 7 of 7, by Greenchili

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok I will. The only other oddities that I have seen that could possibly be related is strange behavior with install scripts for several games. However in those cases I found it easier to do the install process on my PC and then copy the files over to the xbox.

I'll just assume that Crystal Caves is just a fringe case and that this is not something normal with dos games. 🤣

But at least I know what behavior to be on the lookout for.