VOGONS

CVS build with MSVC6

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 22 of 32, by Zantagor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

well, seems I got all the libs now, but I got a link error. maybe someone got an idea as to why?

here's what I got (Using Visual Studio .Net)
dosbox error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl VGA_SetupOther(void)" (?VGA_SetupOther@@YAXXZ) referenced in function "void __cdecl VGA_Init(class Section *)" (?VGA_Init@@YAXPAVSection@@@Z)

Reply 27 of 32, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's because you're building the DEBUG build, which is slow, clumsy, lots of unneccessary checking and no optimization. The warning message that you mentioned in earlier thread only happens with DEBUG build, it doesn't complain about it with RELEASE build. The RELEASE build I got with MSVC6 is ~580KB, which is ~200KB smaller than MinGW build. And, that's the CVS version.

Reply 29 of 32, by Zantagor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Any ideas why I would get that crash on the initialization ?

I tried to debug it, but it doesn't even go in the debugger.

Someone told me one of the libs might have been badly compiled, and I remember reading about SDL and the need to compile it with specific settings in Visual Net... yet no one said what options 😉

so, any ideas?

Reply 30 of 32, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I do not know what you problem is, but I can tell you about a few problems I used to have during the time I have worked with DOSBOX:
- try to delete dosbox.conf (format changes occasionaly and DOSBOX binary does not always work with incorrect configuration file - it directly crashes)
- try to use different DLLs (e.g. if you use SDL.DLL from DOSBOX binary release, then try to find different SDL.DLL on net and run your build with it). I used to have problem that it worked with one version/crashed with other (no idea why, it should not matter how DLL is compiled, only DLL interface should be important for program).

Mirek

Reply 31 of 32, by Markus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It should not matter how DLL is compiled, only DLL interface should be important for program

Compilation does matter, the dll has to be compiled to use the right runtime library (it should be Multithreaded-DLL for sdl.)
Dosbox should be compiled using the same rtl.

Reply 32 of 32, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I'm closing this thread.
people who can't get dosbox compiling and ask questions about how to add a sourcefile to a project or how to change the configuration, Shouldn't bother getting dosbox to compile. It's way out of your leage!

DOSBox is actually fairly simple to compile. So do yourself a favor and remove visual C . You're not capable of using it.

Some people are capable of building it and I think if they run in to problems all the answers are in this thread.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!