VOGONS

First post, by Darkfalz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

* Tandy speaker detected even when disabled in dosbox.conf.
* Leisure Suit Larry (early Sierra AGI game) display totally messed up.
* Mouse doesn't auto capture in full screen like it did in 0.60, not really a bug but a behaviour I wish hadn't been changed.

Please add any other bugs new in 0.61 that weren't present in 0.60 to this topic!

Reply 2 of 12, by diehlr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
  • *Some things seem choppier than in CVS builds from mid-january, maybe a major change was made as a tradeoff for performance to accuracy? Anyway, at equivalent CPU cycle counts it seems much slower at many apparently math intensive operations. Specifically, the World Vector scene in Unreal by Future Crew or anything involving geometry.
    *Cubic Player 1.6 plays MODs/S3Ms/etc at too slow tempo when using the GUS. runs great using Sound Blaster.
    *Cubic Player 1.6, hit 'G' to go into graphic spectrum analyzer mode, then press shift+G to go into extended high-res mode, causes screen to become scrambled.

Panic by Future Crew behaves very strangely. Seemed to work better in CVS builds from mid-january. Specifically:

• *With Sound Blaster disabled and GUS enabled in DOSBOX, demo runs very very slow.
    *With Sound Blaster enabled and GUS disabled, run into DMA Unaligned errors.
    *Demo locks up (background keeps scrolling but sound cuts out and doesn't progress to rest of demo) after first "Panic" logo with panning background. Presumably just before the twisting text scroller is supposed to show up.
    *Using either "Full" or "Dynamic" cores causes immediate exit out of DOSBOX upon running panic.exe. "Normal" is the only one that starts to run the executable.

Stars by NoooN:

• *GUS Enabled, SB Disabled: Sound cuts in and out, behaves very strangely.
    *GUS Disabled, SB Enabled: Sound seems to work OK. Demo runs -really- choppy, however.

Well, that's my list so far. Don't get me wrong, I love DOSBOX, but these are issues that I've run into so far. Thanks.[/list]

Reply 3 of 12, by diehlr

User metadata
      Rank Newbie
      Rank

Nevermind on the performance issues. Switching rendering modes to OpenGL and bumping CPU cycles up to 14000 or so (switch of rendering makes this higher number possible) most slow performance issues are gone. But, the other bugs remain.

Reply 6 of 12, by Harekiet

User metadata
      Rank DOSBox Author
      Rank
      DOSBox Author

Well considering that tandy sound only happened in a tandy machine and that a tandy doesn't have a vga videocard, you should see the problem....

Reply 7 of 12, by jal

User metadata
      Rank Oldbie
      Rank
      Oldbie
      Harekiet wrote:

Well considering that tandy sound only happened in a tandy machine and that a tandy doesn't have a vga videocard, you should see the problem....

Actually, I don't. There shouldn't be a good reason why DOSbox would link Tandy graphics with the Tandy sound. I suspect they are two seperate things in the source, so why not allow Tandy sound without Tandy graphics?

JAL

Reply 10 of 12, by canadacow

User metadata
      Rank Member
      Rank

There shouldn't be a good reason why DOSbox would link Tandy graphics with the Tandy sound. I suspect they are two seperate things in the source, so why not allow Tandy sound without Tandy graphics?

Its not DosBox that's making the decision but rather the software you're running. Tandy sound never existed in another machine outside the Tandy series. They always co-existed. Programs that detected one would assume the other. Logically then, if the test for Tandy video fails, most likely the software won't see the Tandy sound output either (and vice versa).

Reply 11 of 12, by Darkfalz

User metadata
      Rank Member
      Rank

It (presumably) doesn't test for tandy video though, since it tries to use it anyway and messes up. Well to be honest I don't really know what happens, both Larry and Gold Rush use the Tandy speaker if machine is set to auto, but Gold Rush doesn't have messed up graphics. If machine is set to VGA both look fine, but both only detect a PC speaker even if Tandy speaker is enabled.

Reply 12 of 12, by Qbix

User metadata
      Rank DOSBox Author
      Rank
      DOSBox Author

yeah.
      machine=VGA => so no tandy graphics detected by game=> Therefore game doesn't try to find tandysound as they are always coming in one package.

Water flows down the stream
      How to ask questions the smart way!