VOGONS

First post, by barefootzero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I use a tapwave zodiac wich is sort of a super pda that runs on a modified palm OS5. I want to take a look at the posibility of porting doesbox over to this platform or atleast find a starting point for a 386 or 486 emulator for this device.

Could any of you give me some advice for a good jumping off point for this project. I already know how to program in C++ and a little Fortran 90.

If you want to know the specs for Zodiac they are available at www.tapwave.com

Reply 2 of 8, by barefootzero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I kind of got that feeling after reading more about dosbox.

I kind of wonder how those people that made the emulator for running some of the lucas arts adventure games did it. I am guessing that those games are all similiar enough were they did something like porting just the engine to run the games and then allowing users to put the actual game content on the zodiac in such a way that the ported engine can use it.

So what makes dosbox so demanding anyway?

Reply 3 of 8, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Basically the DOSBOX emulates the whole PC. SCUMM VM (running those Lucas Art's games) implements just engine for specific types of games: SCUMM based games/Monkey Island games and one more type I forgot). They do not use original EXE files...

The DOSBOX attitude allows to run all DOS programs (ideally), but it is slower.
SCUMM is quicker, but it runs just a group of similar games.

Well, if you are satified with running just PC XT games, I think it could be done on 200 Mhz processor.

Mirek

Reply 4 of 8, by usernox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What about faster pda's like the HP iPAQ 5550 or 4150, or the Tungsten T3? Those have 400MHz cpu's and at least 64MB of RAM. The controls are probably not very suitable for gaming, but it would still be very nice to be able to play these old dos games. For Pocketpc there already exists pocketdos ( http://www.pocketdos.com ), but I don't know if there's anything for palm os.

Reply 5 of 8, by LordDavon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I compiled DOSBox for the Zaurus line of PDA's. The ROM that I compiled it for is X based and the unit is very fast with other emulators. i.e. I have compiled a snes emulator based on SDL that is running full speed with sound without any frame skipping.

DOSBox runs rather slowly. Even at 400Mhz it is only getting to XT speeds. Without a FPU, I can't see it getting any faster. I have tried soft-float, xscale tuning in gcc and about every other option. It is just too heavy on the CPU.

LD